Menu
Marrea
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Mobile VM820: is it possible to turn mobile data off?

Is it possible to turn mobile data off on a Virgin Mobile VM820 to avoid connecting to the internet by mistake?

The reason I am asking is that my latest bill shows I have been charged £2.00 for internet usage of 64KB on top of my normal monthly price, but I have never intentionally gone on the internet with this phone.  I use it only for making calls and sending texts.  I am wondering if I unintentionally pressed a wrong button somewhere and it connected me to the internet without me realising.  I thought the WAP icon was for the internet but if I’d pressed that by mistake wouldn’t I have had to have entered an actual website address for it to translate as “internet usage”?

One other query while I'm here.  The menu screen shows an icon labelled STK.  What do those initials stand for?

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Mobile VM820: is it possible to turn mobile data off?

Go here

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=164603&CURRENT...

That how to switch it on follow the instructions and just switch off instead, or call 789 and ask them to do it
0 Kudos
Marrea
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for this but I’m afraid I got completely lost with the convoluted instructions for the VM820.  I got as far as steps 24 and 25 (using the scroll key, scroll and highlight the wap, and once highlighted press the ok key).  The wap menu is now supposed to be displayed with homepage highlighted and you are supposed to use the scroll key to scroll down and highlight settings.  Unfortunately, as soon as I highlighted the wap and pressed the ok key, it didn’t show the wap menu but instead there was a circle going round which to me looked like it was then connecting to the internet!!  At that stage I quickly backed out.

I also have a PAYG Vodafone Smart 4 Mini and on that you simply go to Settings, Mobile Data and slide a button from left to right to turn mobile data from on to off.  I was rather hoping there would be something similar on the VM820, ie Settings, Mobile Data, and there I would find two options, on or off.  But apparently it is not that easy.

I think I shall have to ring 789 as you suggest.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Marrea,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulties turning off your mobile data on your VM820 handset. It's great to see that J0hn was able to give you a link to find your handset setting instructions. Sorry that this hasn't worked. 

Have you called in to speak with our Mobile Tech team yet? Have they been able to provide you with help on this?

Please let us know how you got on with this.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Marrea
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Terri

No, I haven’t called your Mobile Tech team as yet.  I’m still trying to see if I can work out for myself how to turn mobile data off.  Unfortunately the link that J0hn kindly provided seems to have everything except this vital piece of information.  If you go to the link and search for the VM820 and go to the section on “Mobile Internet > How do I set up my phone for mobile web?” there are 47 steps detailing how to turn it on but absolutely nothing (as far as I can see) about how to disable it.

The User Guide that came with the phone has a short section on WAP, which again has nothing about how to switch it off.  I myself have gone through all the settings on my phone which look relevant and can find nothing which seems to relate to this.  I have a feeling that when I bought the phone (five and a half years ago) the various settings may already have been pre-entered because I can’t remember entering them myself.  Going through the phone’s menu items I can find no way to either edit or delete these settings.

I’ve also logged into my Virgin Mobile account online and can find no information there either about how to turn mobile data off.

My tariff doesn’t include any data which is fine for me as the phone is a Blackberry copy - great for phone calls and texting which is all I ever wanted it for.  So to discover that I have somehow inadvertently gone on the internet is somewhat annoying.Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Marrea, 

Sorry to hear that you have still been unable to resolve your query for your VM820.

I have taken  a look at the handset itself and it would appear there is no option to turn off the data service.

I do have another solution for you so if you wish to get this resolved please reply to the private message I have sent you just so I can clear some security. You can view the message by clicking the envlope at the top right of the page.

Thanks 

Mike

0 Kudos
Marrea
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike

Thank you so much for looking into this for me.  I am most grateful.  I have just replied to your PM, taking you up on your offer to get this resolved for me.

Regards

Marrea

0 Kudos