Menu
liammeenan
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Mobile Data Roaming

Hello Virgin Mobile users,

We have been very happy with our service on 3 separate SIMs until Pokemon go came out and our children wanted to use my wife's phone data roaming to play this game.

We realised our children were exceeding her limit and we were getting charged as a result, Pokemon go game came to a sharp end. We paid our increased bill accordingly.

Now the problems begin; my wife turns off her data roaming on 27th August. However she is still being billed for using the internet to the sum of £52.51. We have a limit of £50 so my wife realises when she can't use her phone anymore.

We then try calling Virgin mobile on numerous occasions (I estimate 18, hopefully they're recorded) to try and sort out our bill and have the data roaming charges taken off. We end up by stopping our direct debit which then gets us through to somebody who says to reconnect, Virgin will take off the data roaming charges. We did they didn't!

This my first and only disappointment with Virgin after continued loyalty but want to get to the bottom of it but have had enough of the phone calls.

Has anybody had similar issues and found a way of resolving them?

Look forward to any responses,

Liam

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Mobile Data Roaming

There may be apps on the phone that are auto connecting, google play and app updates, location if set for photos, facebook, that sort of stuff, check all the setting for apps, location services, social media (for auto updates)
It cat take a short while
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Liam,

once you reach the limit (or near it) of within tariff data on your device.

Turn off (disable) "mobile data" within your phone's settings.
(If you are unsure how to do this, post back and I'm sure someone will advise you).

With this done you will not incur extra charges for out of tariff use.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
liammeenan
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply Alex,

Yes we did do this and checked it with other people that we were doing it correctly but still received the charges.

Liam

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There may be apps on the phone that are auto connecting, google play and app updates, location if set for photos, facebook, that sort of stuff, check all the setting for apps, location services, social media (for auto updates)
It cat take a short while
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Saying "data roaming", do you mean you we're abroad at the time?, If so, usage charges can take quite a long time to come through to Virgin, just thinking that this could be why charges still came in after turning off data.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
liammeenan
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you John, this sounds a reasonable cause, would this still happen when the phone is in our house with wi-fi.

LIAM

0 Kudos
liammeenan
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes sorry that's just my lack of mobile terminology! We weren't abroad.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Liam,

I think that this may be your problem:

If you have turned off "Data roaming" which is irrelevant as you weren't abroad.

You need instead turn off the phone's "Mobile data connection" once you reach near the limit of your allowance.

This will prevent further connection and subsequent charges.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos