Menu
Pilk1999
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Mobile Abroad

I have just returned from abroad and for the third time, my mobile does will not work.  Each time I have rung the help team and been told that it should and if it is not picking up a network automatically, do it manually etc..  The phone can see the networks but says that it 'cannot register at this time'.  I tried every day, several times a day and it would not connect.  Incidentally, my wife has the exact same phone and the exact same package and her phone picks everything up automatically.

Reading the forum, taking the battery out also is a help.  I have a Sony Xperia and getting the battery out is not really an option.  The latest time I rang, I have been told to take out the SIM card when the phone is switched on, leave it for a few minutes and then replace next time I am abroad and my phone will then be able to log into a network.  I cannot find this solution written anywhere on the internet and so I am reluctant to try it.  Can someone give me some reassurance that this will work without my losing contacts etc. or even damaging the SIM card and also that this will cure the problem.  The big issue is that I have to go abroad again to find out if it works at which point it, if it doesn't work, it is too late.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
megmac1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Mobile Abroad

Good luck. I have been abroad for over a month and my roaming is still not working. I have had to resort to buying a local SIM and phone. Two long calls from other peoples phones have got no results. I am not willing to call again as it would just be paying more money for no result. Don't expect them to ring you back as they don't.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Pilk1999
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello.  Is there anybody out there in Virgin land or does this come under the too hard to answer so we will ignore it topic?

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pilk1999,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing an on-going problem with roaming on your mobile. Apologies for the delay in responding to your post. If you require immediate assistance, please contact the team on 789 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile), 150 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile or Virgin Media landline) or 0345 6000 789 (from any other phone), and you can contact us when you're travelling abroad by calling +447953967967(call charges apply). 

Removing the SIM card while the phone is on is the equivalent of a hard reboot (removing the battery). 

Please see the following post for checking your settings are correct: HELP GUIDE - Mobile Data Roaming for Pay Monthly / SIMO Customers. We also offer online Help & Support information here: Using your Virgin Mobile abroad FAQs.

Please let us know how this goes.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Pilk1999
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

I called in at my local Virgin shop and they have swapped my SIM card to see if that works.  Obviously, I will have to go abroad again before I know if any of this works.  I will let you know, but don't hold your breath. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
megmac1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Good luck. I have been abroad for over a month and my roaming is still not working. I have had to resort to buying a local SIM and phone. Two long calls from other peoples phones have got no results. I am not willing to call again as it would just be paying more money for no result. Don't expect them to ring you back as they don't.
0 Kudos
Pilk1999
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am now abroad again and my phone still does not work. Before going I checked with virgin and they assured me that everything was ok. I have swapped my sim card with my wife's and then my phone does work so it is not my phone and is something to do with the network. I have now had 2 different sim cards and nothing is working when I go abroad. When I search for available networks they all come up as not available to me. I am absolutely fed up with this. This is the fourth time and every time virgin tell me that it should work but it doesn't and as I have mentioned, if I use my wife's sim card it does so it is definitely something to do with the network settings that virgin have put on my account.

Can someone at virgin please get this sorted without me having to wait a week for a reply?

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pilk1999,

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I'd like to apologise for the ongoing roaming issues you're experiencing. I'm confident I can get this fixed for you though.

Following a network refresh I'd like you to now restart the handset. It should connect to a network automatically but sometimes you may need to manually search and select. Has this worked?

If you want to use mobile data then you need to make sure data roaming is activated on the handset itself for this to work. The basic instructions for doing this can be found here.

If you still can't get data then you need to update the APN settings. You can enter them manually by looking here or you can select your handset from the list here and you'll get the update directly.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Pilk1999
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich,

I restarted my phone and it did not connect automatically. I tried manually and it listed all the networks but they all had the not available symbol at the side. I tried anyway and amazingly it connected.

I don't know what you have done but it worked. Thank you for your help and assistance. I really appreciate it.

John

0 Kudos