Menu
paul891
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Mobile 4G

I know this question has been asked on previous board but that was a little over a year ago and things may have changed.

I didn't want to simply resurrect the old post at risk of out of date information finding it's way back through.

does anybody know of plans to roll out 4g on VM?

My daughter has just been given an iPhone 6 on an O2 contract and I want to use her old iPhone 5c but want to get faster data than 3g can offer.

This may mean moving away from Virgin if they cannot provide 4G signal

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Mobile 4G

There is no news.

It is not likely to happen until Virgin renegotiate with EE.

Another scenario is they may go with Three/O2 if they merge. They were at the talks in Brussels as an interested party

The EU has to agree or reject that merger by 18th April and, if there is a go ahead it could be 6 or more months before there is any real movement.

My guess for Virgin 4G - not anytime soon.

Here is the main thread http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Virgin-Mobile-and-4G/td-p/1624026 

0 Kudos

All Replies
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is no news.

It is not likely to happen until Virgin renegotiate with EE.

Another scenario is they may go with Three/O2 if they merge. They were at the talks in Brussels as an interested party

The EU has to agree or reject that merger by 18th April and, if there is a go ahead it could be 6 or more months before there is any real movement.

My guess for Virgin 4G - not anytime soon.

Here is the main thread http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Virgin-Mobile-and-4G/td-p/1624026 

0 Kudos
paul891
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank You.

As I thought; I guess it's time to move on to a supplier who provide the level of service expected in the 21st century.

Goodbye Virgin Mobile

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Spot on Paul.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

dcweather
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

My thoughts entirely Paul. Customer service told me there had been little interest in 4G which I find astounding considering all the other providers offer it, almost all new phones have it and I have witnessed how much faster it is on the internet! Unless Virgin is trying to exit the market it needs to get its head out of the sand - and quickly!

0 Kudos
TC-25
Up to speed
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Virgin have confirmed (if confirmed is the right word) that 4G will be out for non-business customers "by Christmas", that's 2016. Now, whether you believe them or not is another matter.
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

TC-25 wrote:
Virgin have confirmed (if confirmed is the right word) that 4G will be out for non-business customers "by Christmas", that's 2016. Now, whether you believe them or not is another matter.

Confirmed by who from Virgin ?

Wasn't by another CS/sales person again. lol

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Teabag has it right. The only confirmation that matters would be a public announcement.

Either VM's supplier would give 4G away for nothing; or VM would have to pay more for offering 4G bandwidth and then either put up their tariff prices and/or cross-subsiise from the landline rip-off charges they levy.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I won't believe it untill I see the truck going from town to town round the UK.

Your imagination now, Coca Cola style Christmas truck, same tune, just different words " 4g is 'a' coming ...........

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I here it is coming as soon as EE get 5G

0 Kudos