Menu
marcris
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Wifi App Settings issue

I downloaded the app for get Internet on the street but every time I try to set up, I can't do it, and come a message, unable to install Virgin media WiFi settings, what can I do? thanks, kind regards

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

RE: Virgin Media Wifi App Settings issue

Welcome to the VM forum.

What device are you trying to install it on?  As far as I know and looking at the Google play store, it doesn't work on 4.2.2 jelly bean.  Nor will it work on a windows phone, as it's not available for it.Smiley Sad

PS - try to be a bit more specific with the subject heading (regarding your problem), it makes it easier for those who can help to help you out.

Cheers

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes

All Replies
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

RE: Virgin Media Wifi App Settings issue

Welcome to the VM forum.

What device are you trying to install it on?  As far as I know and looking at the Google play store, it doesn't work on 4.2.2 jelly bean.  Nor will it work on a windows phone, as it's not available for it.Smiley Sad

PS - try to be a bit more specific with the subject heading (regarding your problem), it makes it easier for those who can help to help you out.

Cheers

--
No system is 100% secure
marcris
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: RE: Virgin Media Wifi App Settings issue

Hi, I have samsung galaxy s6, software version is 6.0.1 and the app l download is Virgin media WiFi, for get Internet on the street, regard.
tony
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony

I have now downloaded the Wi-Fi app myself and found that there is no way of being able to use it unless you are a Virgin Mobile customer.  I am not a Virgin Mobile customer, so I can't set it up that way.  I tried the other day and even though VM uses Orange/T Mobile it doesn't work. Nor can I connect as the app disconnects from wi-fi on my Medion 4.4.2 phone.  I've posted the results of my experience elsewhere on this thread.

When I logged (following the instructions on the VM homepage get wifi app links) into the My Vrign Media account, it disconnects, nor is there any instruction of what to do once you're there. so there is (as far as I am concerned) no way to actually use the app, although it shows me where hotspots are.  Not much good if I can't connect to them.Smiley Sad

To summarise, it won't work unless you're a Virign Mobile customer, and in (it's current state) won't work on laptops.

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

To get the new Virgin Media WiFi app that works with Broadband accounts your device needs to be running Android 5.0 or later.

Devices with earlier Android versions can access WiFi Buddy, which is for Virgin Mobile customers only.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Oh well.  I'm not buying a new phone, so I'll uninstall it.Man Mad  it probably won't do that properly either.  I now don't expect anything to work.

Looks like I'm getting the bus then.  What is the point of pushing it if you can't use it?  Even Windows phones work on my local buses. Smiley Indifferent  Surely it wouldn't be impossible to code for older phones, otherwise there is little point in having them if you can't connect.  I was considering upgrading stuff, but I really can't be mithered with the constand ruddy upgrades.  What is Android at now?  7.0?  Soon the 5.0 stuff won't connect either.Smiley Indifferent  Gigabytes, Terabytes, Exabytes, Zettabytes and Yottabytes won't be fast enough. Blahhh.Smiley Indifferent  It's enough to put anyone off.

Making it clear on http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/broadband/virginmediawifi/what-is-virgin-media-wifi.html that only Android 5.0+ phones/tablets would also be useful.  It would mean less hours of life wasted.Man Mad

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos
Boneywoney
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm a Virgin Media and Virgin Mobile customer and I've never been able to get this Virgin Media WiFi App to work on my Virgin Mobile Samsung S6 phone.  All I ever get when trying to setup is as per the screenshot, which might as well be instructions for how to land a rocket of the far side of the Moon as far as I'm concerned.  I'm a customer not a Virgin Media technician.

Well yea, perhaps that's because Virgin Media is my mobile provider!Well yea, perhaps that's because Virgin Media is my mobile provider!

0 Kudos
Boneywoney
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Could these elusive profiles be what are shown in my available WiFi settings?  The ones I can't remove or forget as they are transmitted from my Virgin Broadband Router, the three default Virgin Media, 2G and 5G options.  I'm afraid the Virgin Media Help pages are no help whatsoever and its even more frustrating when half the links don't work and of those that do, many just open blank pages or out of date information.  I would be most grateful if someone could help.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Boneywoney

From looking on Google, it looks like the S6 with Marshmallow has a problem of being able to see or delete any saved networks which are not in range.

With my phone, Settings > WiFi > saved networks and then I can delete them, with the S6 it looks like the "saved networks" option is missing :-(
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
Boneywoney
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your assistance.  I called in my local Virgin shop earlier today and asked if they could help, even they were flummoxed and suggested I phone the Virgin help line.  So I suppose that's what I shall have to do.

0 Kudos