Menu
a_ukboy
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Wi-Fi

Just a quick question, is the virgin Media wifi app up to date regarding locations?
I seem to be connecting to lots of hotspots, particularly ones called Virgin Media Wifi that's not showing as a location on the app..
I connect to one just a few doors from my house on a residential street.. The App shows my nearest one about a mile away!
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Media Wi-Fi

Ralph_R wrote:

It's only Hub3 customers that have Wi-fi sharing enabled.....though not sure why your app isn't showing all the local hotspots, a quick test on your locality via the App shows all the home hotspots in your area as expected.....have you zoomed in ? 

Hi Ralph,

Perhaps you could clarify something for me.  I don't have a Hub 3 and I'm using the SH2ac which as we know is not Wi-Fi Sharing enabled at the moment.  Despite that, if I were to opt in to the scheme (I'm currently opted out), can I still use my iPad with the app to connect to other people's hotspots when I'm out and about even though I cannot provide a hotspot myself?

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos

All Replies
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I don't use it but I'm assuming that the hotspots shown in the app are the main public ones in major locations.   The other more local ones you are able to connect to will be the result of the rollout of the new publicly accessible Wi-Fi from household hubs from those who haven't opted out of the scheme.  There could be many of those down your street and I'd be surprised if VM will even attempt to try and keep the app updated with all those.

Electron
a_ukboy
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes that's what I thought, and I haven't opted out either, however I've not logged into VM wifi app with my broadband account, its automatically connected via my mobile phone account..
How do I know if my broadband is also a wifi hotspot? I've searched for wifi signals at home and I only see my 2G and 5G connections..
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

a_ukboy wrote:
Yes that's what I thought, and I haven't opted out either, however I've not logged into VM wifi app with my broadband account, its automatically connected via my mobile phone account..
How do I know if my broadband is also a wifi hotspot? I've searched for wifi signals at home and I only see my 2G and 5G connections..

If your Hub has been activated for the service you should be seeing a third SSID ... not sure but I think it's just called MyVirginMedia or something similar.  I believe at the moment you must have a Hub 3 which has received a firmware update.   They did try to roll out a firmware update to activate the earlier SH2ac Hub but that was a technical disaster and the firmware has now been retracted from owners of that Hub.

Electron
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's only Hub3 customers that have Wi-fi sharing enabled.....though not sure why your app isn't showing all the local hotspots, a quick test on your locality via the App shows all the home hotspots in your area as expected.....have you zoomed in ?

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ralph_R wrote:

Hi Ralph,

Perhaps you could clarify something for me.  I don't have a Hub 3 and I'm using the SH2ac which as we know is not Wi-Fi Sharing enabled at the moment.  Despite that, if I were to opt in to the scheme (I'm currently opted out), can I still use my iPad with the app to connect to other people's hotspots when I'm out and about even though I cannot provide a hotspot myself?

Electron
0 Kudos
a_ukboy
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well I only have the SH2ac router, and I'm able to connect!

So I would've thought VM would be contacting me trying to get my router upgraded, I don't mind being a wifi hotspot.
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

a_ukboy wrote:
Well I only have the SH2ac router, and I'm able to connect!

So I would've thought VM would be contacting me trying to get my router upgraded, I don't mind being a wifi hotspot.

Ah, that is interesting ... I may well opt back in if that is the case.

As for the Hub 3 ... don't put yourself through the torture, you've only got to read the forum to see the issues it has, especially with built-in latency.  The SH2ac is far superior, even if you are only using it in modem mode.

Electron
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,

If you're opted in then yes you can use the App on your devices to connect to available hotspots, the fact that you have a SH2ac isn't going to restrict your access.

Cheers Smiley Happy

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ralph_R wrote:

Hi Dave,

If you're opted in then yes you can use the App on your devices to connect to available hotspots, the fact that you have a SH2ac isn't going to restrict your access.

Cheers Smiley Happy

Thanks very much for confirming that Ralph.  Methinks I shall opt back in then     Smiley Wink

Electron
0 Kudos