Menu
jpennycook
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Wi Fi app does not work with CyanogenMod - security reasons

I have a Virgin Mobile Sony Xperia Z3 with a Virgin Mobile SIM, and I'm also a cable customer. The Wi Fi Buddy app worked fine on my phone. My phone runs CyanogenMod. Since I upgraded to the Virgin Media Wi Fi app recently, I get an error - something about the app not running on rooted phones for security reasons. Could you explain why banks are happy for me to run their apps on my phone, but Virgin Media isn't?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Wi Fi app does not work with CyanogenMod - security reasons

Whats banks go to do with it? Least secure institutions there are these days...

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-3930118/Tesco-Bank-hack-happened-protect-account.h...

Basically for DRM any modification of stock Android counts as rooted, so you may run into bother with TV anywhere.

Last I was on XDA some workarounds where posted anyways, but I didn't tell you that....Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-3930118/Tesco-Bank-hack-happened-protect-account.h...

Basically for DRM any modification of stock Android counts as rooted, so you may run into bother with TV anywhere.

Last I was on XDA some workarounds where posted anyways, but I didn't tell you that....Smiley Wink

Kippies, TV anywhere will not also run on unmodified devices that are running genuine stock android 6.1 sadly, as many users will testify, (there are a large number, (and I MEAN, a large number) of posts on this site)

VM are aware of this, and have been since MARCH this year, and are STILL promising a 'fix' for it, 8 months later!!   Smiley Sad 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

HughJarsse wrote:

Kippies wrote:

Kippies, TV anywhere will not also run on unmodified devices that are running genuine stock android 6.1 sadly, as many users will testify, (there are a large number, (and I MEAN, a large number) of posts on this site)

VM are aware of this, and have been since MARCH this year, and are STILL promising a 'fix' for it, 8 months later!!   Smiley Sad 

I was assuming the issue was the installation of Cyanogen , because that's what OP seemed to be querying..

But to clarify my position.

Yes I'm aware there are a LOT of newer Android devices out there that TVA doesn't work on.

Yes that is a PITA , and that's not even taking into account some of the handsets Virgin Mobile sells it doesn't work on- I mean THATS  just silly- and Ive said so before.

And yes I understand the Android ecosystem is difficult to develop for, especially when you have DRM to take into account- but that's not an excuse, it should DELAY a fix by maybe a few months, not 6 months to a year as seems to be the current state of play...

0 Kudos
jpennycook
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Lack of TV Anywhere doesn't bother me - I hardly watch TV these days, and recently cut down my TV package to the minimum.  I don't think I've ever used TV Anywhere for anything other than a TiVo remote control and to schedule recordings.  I've got something else with a larger screen that I use to watch things away from home.  I can't try TV Anywhere because my phone had an unfortunate encounter with a road which smashed the screen.

Philosophically (or technically) - what is the difference between a rooted Android phone and a PC?

0 Kudos