Menu
philknowles
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Huawei broadband dongle is not recognised

I have a broadband mobile dongle which works off an internal SIM card to provide an internet connection for my laptop.  However, now that the laptop is using Windows 10, it has stopped working and when the Virgin connection software starts up I get the message "The device has been disconnected or is unavailable"

Does this mean that I need new dongle software or have I just got to bin the old one and find something else?

I believe that the version I currently have is a Huawei E160 although I have no way to check this out.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Huawei broadband dongle is not recognised

Hi philknowles,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Huawei dongle following the upgrade to Windows 10.

A quick Google search has revealed this site. I'm assuming this is the same one you have. It says it supports Windows 2000, XP, Vista. I'm not sure if this 100% accurate though.

I would remove the software and reinstall it firstly to see if this makes a difference. You could also go straight to the manufacturer to see if there are any updates available too.

If that fails then I'd do a quick search yourself if you can access the internet as It could mean the dongle isn't supported on Windows 10.

Hope that information helps. Please let me know how you get on with that.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi philknowles,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Huawei dongle following the upgrade to Windows 10.

A quick Google search has revealed this site. I'm assuming this is the same one you have. It says it supports Windows 2000, XP, Vista. I'm not sure if this 100% accurate though.

I would remove the software and reinstall it firstly to see if this makes a difference. You could also go straight to the manufacturer to see if there are any updates available too.

If that fails then I'd do a quick search yourself if you can access the internet as It could mean the dongle isn't supported on Windows 10.

Hope that information helps. Please let me know how you get on with that.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
philknowles
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me Rich.

I tried removing and re-installing the software, but without success.  However, I found with some considerable difficulty some new Win10 software on the Huawei site although the E160 was not listed as a compatible device.  The download was called:

HUAWEI Stick UTPS-V200R003B015D11SP01C983( for win10) dated 2015-10-08

This zip file contains an iso called mobile_partner.iso which installed slowly but successfully.  The software skin appears identical to the Virgin original, but is blue and called Mobile Partner.  All I had to do was to select the Virgin Profile - and it worked as you can see!

I hope this will help someone else, but finding this update was a real struggle on the Huawei site.  Many thanks for all your help and encouragement.

Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear you got this all sorted Philknowles Smiley Happy

Let me know if you need anything at all from us.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos