Menu
pietervdlith
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Very confused - new phone

My family and i moved  to the UK in August 2015. In September 2015 we took out a broadband deal with Virgin as well as 2 sim only contracts of £10 a month each. We were told that we could not get new phones as we were new in the country and had to build up 'credit' first.

After some calls we were informed that we have to make 6 successful payments on our accounts before we could be eligible for a phone. After 6 months i called the Virgin customer center (789) and they informed me that they are going to 'refresh' my account so that i can get a new phone.

One of the consultants called me and told me that i was eligible for a phone and then asked me what phone i wanted because i qualified for the Samsung S6, S5 or the I phone 5. I told her that i want the S6. After conducting another credit check i was informed that i do NOT qualify for a new phone and i have to wait another 90 days to be eligible for a phone.

Now i want to know. Can someone PLS explain to me how things work here in the UK. Every day i hear a different story from someone and i am really confused

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very confused - new phone

It all depends on the credit agency Virgin use, however it is becoming evident that their criteria is stricter than other networks. We have had people on here who have literally spent thousands with Virgin and not passed.

I doubt  6 or 9 successful payments would be enough to build up the necessary criteria and I suspect you are being strung along by customer service. Yours is not the first case like this.

I would like to be proved wrong but I suspect you will find in 3 months time things will not have changed, especially as you want more than one phone.

0 Kudos
pietervdlith
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I wish i knew this before we signed up with Virgin. When you are new in a country you don't know much of how things work etc. I will have to wait till my contract time is over and then i will move over to another provider.

This is absolutely pathetic from Virgin. They keep on making promises and then this happens 

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Have a look through this website provided by the Government, it will give you a basic understanding of the UK system of Credit Rating

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/how-to-improve-your-credit-rating

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

pietervdlith wrote:

I wish i knew this before we signed up with Virgin. When you are new in a country you don't know much of how things work etc. I will have to wait till my contract time is over and then i will move over to another provider.

This is absolutely pathetic from Virgin. They keep on making promises and then this happens 

Hi pietervdlith,

unfortunately you are not alone here.

There are many posts on this forum from people just like yourself who have been "mis-sold" SIM only deals in this way. Only to find the truth, three or six months down the line.

If you decide that you would prefer to move to another provider.
Virgin SIM only contracts can be canceled with just 30 days notice.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos