Menu
joegardner80
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VM google play error

Hi All,

I started getting a message on my galaxy s5 the other day saying "account action required", when I tried to sign in to google it kept telling me that because my login was associated with virgin media I had to sign in through the VM page. Every time I tried to do this I got an error message "requested page is invalid" and got the broken robot image.

After a bit of googling somebody advised me to remove my google account then re-add it to my phone. I have since done that and now when I try to add my google account again it redirects me to the VM login page then when I login I get the same "requested page is invalid". I can't seem to get the account back on my phone and now have lost the names of most of my contacts.

Was it a bad idea to sign up to google using my VM webmail login or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

0 Kudos
joegardner80
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM google play error

BTW I have a virgin account for internet and for mobile. I can't understand how all of a sudden there is a problem with google play, i have setup another account away from VM but would like to at least retrieve my contacts.

0 Kudos
joegardner80
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've just found this on the VM website. Again I get to the step where it asks me to login and after diverting to the VM website I get requested page invalid. I just want to get my contacts back, its so annoying. Any help would be appreciated!!

Resolve Google Account conflict message by using an alternate email address

Google have recently made some changes to the way people sign into their services.  As a result, you can no longer use your Virgin Media email address as the user name to sign into their services.

Our email addresses are those that end in virginmedia.com, ntlworld.com,virgin.net and blueyonder.co.uk.

To change the email address you use to sign in to Google to an alternative one, follow the instructions below.

However if you don’t have access to an alternative email address, please see 'Resolve Google Account conflict message by adding a new Gmail address'

Get started by watching our video for instructions on how to use an alternate email address to resolve the accout conflict:

1. Open an internet browser on your laptop or desktop computer. You can’t use IE8, IE9 or some other older browsers as Google doesn’t support them.

2. Head to Google.co.uk. If you’re not already signed in to your Google account, in the top right hand corner you will see a box where you can sign in. Do this now.

As soon as you’re signed in, you will see a warning screen from Google advising that an Account update is required.

3. Click Get Started. At this point Google will offer two options.  Choose  'Select a different address for your personal Google Account'

The first Option is not applicable for Virgin Media customers because it’s not possible to move data from your personal Google Account to your Virgin Media account.

4. Click Next

5. Select 'An account that uses a non-Google email address you already own' and then click Continue.

6. Enter your alternative email address in here. Remember this cannot be a Virgin Media or an existing Gmail address.

7. Type in the password you normally use to sign in to your Google account.

8. Click Save Email Address. A page will now appear giving you instructions on how to verify your new email address.

9. Sign in to the account for the replacement email address you just entered. You should see a new email from Google with the title: Google Accounts; Change Email Verification.

10. Open this email and click the link near the top. A window will pop up to confirm that you’ve successfully changed the address you use to sign into your Google account.

11. Click Continue to account and you’ll see that your email address has changed.

Now whenever you sign in to a Google service, you’ll need to use this email address instead of your Virgin Media one. Your password will remain the same as before.

Remember, this does not change how you log in to your Virgin Media services.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It maybe has something to do with the current mail platform migration away from the google platform to Virgins own system.

I personally have a gmail account purely for google services and currently only my VM email logs into the gmail platform VM used to use as I have not yet migrated over to the new system.

Cant test/check anything to do with the Play store as i don't have any device that runs the funny robot system.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Joe,

Sorry to hear you've been having problems with your Google sign in, not sure why this should suddenly be an issue as it was about a year about  a year or so ago that Google updated their mail platform with the result that you could no longer sign in using Virgin Media details.

If you continue to have any sign in problems you'll need to contact Google support directly about this sorry.

Kind Regards

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos