Menu
rodbrown1949
Dialled in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Using up 100% goodwill allowance

I have been receiving messages saying I have used up 100% of my 'Goodwill' allowance recently! I raised my tariff to the next level, but am still using it up very quickly! I admit that I connect to the web a lot / use FB too! I rarely use the phone or messaging and I'm not using 'Roaming' so the increased tariff is really of no use to me! Is there a better suited tariff I could use? Is there a setting on the phone that would help me reduce the 'Goodwill' usage ?

Would appreciate help or advice!

Thanks

Rod

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
GAT7
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Using up 100% goodwill allowance

Read Understanding mobile data to see if the tips to reduce data usage is of any help.

You don't mention the phone & OS, but on mine (running Android Marshmallow) I have adjusted the following data settings to minimise usage. Of course, you need to adjust yours according to your allowance & usage:

Settings > Data traffic management > Traffic reminder settings > Monthly data limit (manually entered my package's limit)

Settings > Data traffic management > Traffic reminder settings > When over monthly limit > selected 'Disable mobile data' (the other option is 'Notify me')

Settings > Data traffic management > Traffic reminder settings > Monthly data reminder > set this to 80%

Settings > Data traffic management > Traffic reminder settings > Daily data reminder > set this to 10%

Settings > Data traffic management > Networked apps > disabled most here under the 'Mobile data' column as don't need them to be using data

Settings > Data traffic management > Mobile network settings > only have 'Always send and receive MMS' selected here

GAT7
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ok, looks like you have the older Android Lollipop (Marshmallow is just the latest Android OS for phones).

For you, these should be under Settings > Data usage (tutorial with screenshots here). As it's a different OS, you may not get all the options I mentioned in my initial post.

GAT7
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Lollipop is a version of Android (like 7 is a version of Windows on computers).

Not sure I understand your question. With mobile data shut off, updates of any kind (OS, apps, etc) will be done when connected to Wi-Fi only.

GAT7
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No problem, the 'data' in the question puzzled me I guess.

You should also consider downloading & installing Virgin's mobile app to keep regular tabs on your usage: Get the Virgin Media My Account app

I usually have the app always opened in the background for quick reference (when online, it updates one's usage stats once every 15min). You may need to manually setup the app to use your Wi-Fi for this.

No, you most likely will not be able to install Marshmallow, unless it's an official LG update specifically meant for your phone model only (there could be custom/unofficial Marshmallow updates available, but not recommended unless you know what you're doing). You can check for official OS updates in Settings > System Update (or similar).

If none available, apparently the Spirit will eventually get the Marshmallow update according to this thread in another forum.

All Replies
GAT7
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Read Understanding mobile data to see if the tips to reduce data usage is of any help.

You don't mention the phone & OS, but on mine (running Android Marshmallow) I have adjusted the following data settings to minimise usage. Of course, you need to adjust yours according to your allowance & usage:

Settings > Data traffic management > Traffic reminder settings > Monthly data limit (manually entered my package's limit)

Settings > Data traffic management > Traffic reminder settings > When over monthly limit > selected 'Disable mobile data' (the other option is 'Notify me')

Settings > Data traffic management > Traffic reminder settings > Monthly data reminder > set this to 80%

Settings > Data traffic management > Traffic reminder settings > Daily data reminder > set this to 10%

Settings > Data traffic management > Networked apps > disabled most here under the 'Mobile data' column as don't need them to be using data

Settings > Data traffic management > Mobile network settings > only have 'Always send and receive MMS' selected here

rodbrown1949
Dialled in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks GAT7, I will have a look at the settings, though I'm sure I haven't seen any like that! However, my phone is an LG Spirit h440n and it has an Android os, with Chrome  and Google on it (no Marshmallow)! Will get back to you when I have read the details on the link you provided! Thanks!

Rod

0 Kudos
GAT7
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ok, looks like you have the older Android Lollipop (Marshmallow is just the latest Android OS for phones).

For you, these should be under Settings > Data usage (tutorial with screenshots here). As it's a different OS, you may not get all the options I mentioned in my initial post.

rodbrown1949
Dialled in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi GAT7, Read through the data on the link, which was quite useful, but my main problem was that I did not know how to cut off, or limit my data useage! So, as you suggested, I had another look at my settings (they were different from the ones you listed above, but I found data usage settings and limit settings). My mobile data was set on (now switched off)! I found that the biggest usage was down to Google Play Store at 80.61 mb, (not as expected Facebook, which was down at 16.78mb, Chrome at 11.38 and Google app at 1.99)! All apps were also set to automatic update, so I wasn't seeing the usage until Virgin reported it to me! So I've not only put a limit on it, but I have switched it to Wifi only update!  I didn't know that I could switch off Mobile data, nor that I could select the item under Networks and see what was using the most and set limits too! Hope I'm on the right track and this will help keep the cost down!

Thanks for a very helpful response!

Regards

Rod

GAT7
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No problem, glad that helped Smiley Happy

Tweaked those settings on my phone only recently, so it was still fresh in the mind.

0 Kudos
rodbrown1949
Dialled in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

GAT7, again thanks for the link (didn't know I was on Lollipop, just Android os), however the link was indeed the settings I see! I had a look at the page with the red and green lines and tried to adjust the red limit downwards! No matter, however, which way I swiped the button, the limit went up! I tried it a number of times, before I eventually switch Mobile data off altogether! Does this mean that I will now only get mobile data updates through Wifi, when I'm connected?

Regards Rod

0 Kudos
GAT7
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Lollipop is a version of Android (like 7 is a version of Windows on computers).

Not sure I understand your question. With mobile data shut off, updates of any kind (OS, apps, etc) will be done when connected to Wi-Fi only.

rodbrown1949
Dialled in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

GAT7, Great, that's exactly what I was asking, sorry for not being clear! I will keep monitoring it over next month to see whether it's helped! Could I also ask if I should download Marshmallow to use instead of Lollipop? Is it better as it's newer?

Regards Rod

0 Kudos
GAT7
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No problem, the 'data' in the question puzzled me I guess.

You should also consider downloading & installing Virgin's mobile app to keep regular tabs on your usage: Get the Virgin Media My Account app

I usually have the app always opened in the background for quick reference (when online, it updates one's usage stats once every 15min). You may need to manually setup the app to use your Wi-Fi for this.

No, you most likely will not be able to install Marshmallow, unless it's an official LG update specifically meant for your phone model only (there could be custom/unofficial Marshmallow updates available, but not recommended unless you know what you're doing). You can check for official OS updates in Settings > System Update (or similar).

If none available, apparently the Spirit will eventually get the Marshmallow update according to this thread in another forum.