Menu
blackdogsdad
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Using phone in Portugal

I live in England: last year on a family holiday in Portugal I was unable to use my phone, but my brother-in-law (also a Virgin Mobile customer) received a txt as soon as we landed welcoming him to Portugal and telling him how much txts and calls would cost. I never received such a txt and wasn't able to use my phone either: it wouldn't connect to any service. Why would this be? Not having had the txt my brother-in-law had from Virgin, I daren't switch "Data Roaming" on fearing HUGE bills with calls and txts being re-routed around the world via an unknown, possibly expensive European telecoms provider. I'm going again soon and would like to get this sorted: hopefully someone out there can help me? Thanks in anticipation!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Using phone in Portugal

Ok firstly there is no longer a "huge bill" problem in the EU everywhere else in the world yes. To use data roaming you first need roaming active on your account and phone, data roaming on the phone, you arrive in the EU get a roaming text send the approval reply to buy roaming data, job don.e

now there may be issues connecting or not I never have any some do, but the gist of it is as above.

If it's a contract phone it's not auto set up call 789 they can do it in seconds or via the virgin web account you may or may not have yet set up

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi blackdogsdad,

for Virgin pay as you go customers roaming is on by default, whereas for pay monthly customers it is off.

Perhaps this is the difference with your brother-in-law. Or maybe he just activated it.

Before you leave the UK, call customer services (free) on 789 and ask that "Roaming" be turned on in your mobile account.

Also make a point of specifying "Data Roaming" too.

On Virgin's side of things there is a separate switch for this as a number of people have come to this forum with roaming active but have had to make a second (expensive) call from their destination in order to have data activated.

Also check that "International call barring" is off.

Portugal is in the EU therefore:

Making a Call 4p (per minute)
Receiving a Call 0p (per minute)
Sending an SMS 1p
Sending an MMS 40p
Data: purchase an EU Data Pass

A 30 second minimum call charge applies to all calls.

Without the purchase of an EU Data Travel Pass your phone won't connect to mobile data.

Here is a useful help page from Virgin: Taking your mobile abroad

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ok firstly there is no longer a "huge bill" problem in the EU everywhere else in the world yes. To use data roaming you first need roaming active on your account and phone, data roaming on the phone, you arrive in the EU get a roaming text send the approval reply to buy roaming data, job don.e

now there may be issues connecting or not I never have any some do, but the gist of it is as above.

If it's a contract phone it's not auto set up call 789 they can do it in seconds or via the virgin web account you may or may not have yet set up

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi blackdogsdad,

for Virgin pay as you go customers roaming is on by default, whereas for pay monthly customers it is off.

Perhaps this is the difference with your brother-in-law. Or maybe he just activated it.

Before you leave the UK, call customer services (free) on 789 and ask that "Roaming" be turned on in your mobile account.

Also make a point of specifying "Data Roaming" too.

On Virgin's side of things there is a separate switch for this as a number of people have come to this forum with roaming active but have had to make a second (expensive) call from their destination in order to have data activated.

Also check that "International call barring" is off.

Portugal is in the EU therefore:

Making a Call 4p (per minute)
Receiving a Call 0p (per minute)
Sending an SMS 1p
Sending an MMS 40p
Data: purchase an EU Data Pass

A 30 second minimum call charge applies to all calls.

Without the purchase of an EU Data Travel Pass your phone won't connect to mobile data.

Here is a useful help page from Virgin: Taking your mobile abroad

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.