Menu
Gordon123
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Using phone abroad

I want to use my phone whilst I am abroad.  It says in 'help' to turn on roaming in my account but turn off roaming on my phone.  What is the correct procedure?  I tried all this last year and the phone would not work.  Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using phone abroad

Hi Gordon123,

before you leave the UK you need to have "Roaming" ON in your Virgin Mobile account .

(Also check that "International call barring" is set to OFF).

In the settings on your phone, if traveling outside of the EU it is advisable to check that Data Roaming is turned OFF.

This is to avoid unexpected and expensive charges should your phone automatically connect to a foreign network (£5 per MB in some places).

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos
Gordon123
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply,  I will be in Tenerife (Europe) so do I still have to leave data roaming on on my phone.  I apologise if it is a 'stupid' question but I am not very technically adept.  Thanks again

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Gordon123 wrote:

Thanks for your reply,  I will be in Tenerife (Europe) so do I still have to leave data roaming on on my phone.  I apologise if it is a 'stupid' question but I am not very technically adept.  Thanks again

Hi Gordon123,

it's not a stupid question.

In the EU your phone won't connect to mobile data unless you first purchase an "EU Data Travel Pass" so you'll be OK to leave it on in your phones settings.

Here is a help page from Virgin on the subject: Taking your mobile abroad

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos