Menu
FlameOfFrost
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Using Phone In Japan?

Hi, sorry if I do anything wrong with this post, but it's my first Virgin community question and I'm not 100% on the ins and outs. Basically, I have an upcoming situation that I would greatly appreciate some advice on.

So, in a month or so, I am headed from the UK to Roppongi, Tokyo for a birthday holiday with my parents. We will be there for 2 weeks. I'd love to be able to upload pictures of my holiday to social network sites, and maybe also check out just how good Pokémon GO is in Japan. So some safe data plan for abroad would be nice.

I am also meeting some friends there, who will be travelling from America to meet me in Roppongi. We'll all be staying at the same hotel for a while, but I know how busy of a city Tokyo is. I don't want to lose any of my friends and family, and might need to rely on my phone to contact them. I am assuming my American friends will be taking their phones, complete with American phone numbers. I do have instant messaging apps that I talk to them through, but wouldn't mind the option to call their numbers whilst we are away together, as well as the UK phone numbers of my parents... All whilst in Japan.

Obviously however, I don't want to come home to a £200+ phone bill.

Currently, I am on a £15.24 a month Virgin Media contract which includes Unlimited texts, Unlimited calls, and 3GB Data Allowance.

How would you recommend I safe guard myself against unexpected charges?

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using Phone In Japan?

Virgin do not offer any "add on" type packages and so it will cost an arm and a log to use the mobile in japan

£2 a minute to make a call  minimum cost of £2, £1 a minute to receive a call £1 minimum. Data £5 per mob extortion if you ask me, sims 30p each and mms 40p.

Its all on their website, my normal thing is buy a local pre paid sim. Japan iifc only have a 4g mobile network and you need to check if your phone is compatible, and sim free to use a local sim.

0 Kudos
FlameOfFrost
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply! How would I go about buying a prepaid local sim? And currently I use an unlocked to any network iPhone 5s. I use 3G, but I've never used 4G on it... how would I check it's compatible?

Sorry for all the questions, I haven't travelled out of the UK in years so have no idea how phones work abroad!

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

iPhones are different, they normally lock on to the carrier who's sim your using, so a local sim may be barred to you.

Its an Internet search to find out the frequencies used in Japan, then note those and compare it to you phone on GSM arena ( website ) that will let you know if it will work.

phones for Europe, have different frequencies to the USA and also Japan who are different to the rest of the world

0 Kudos