Menu
old_nic
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Using PAYG mobile abroad

I have roaming switched on in the service settings, but I cannot send text messages in Italy, and when I call my own mobile from a landline in Italy the calling number is not shown and the phone is described as operating in "restricted mode". I have tried different networks but the phone will only connect to TIM, refuses to connect to Vodafone or Wind.

I can make calls to UK and Italy.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using PAYG mobile abroad

Hi Old_nic,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with roaming in Italy. If you're able to call, this would suggest that there would be an issue with the network you're roaming on. Is there anyone with you having similar issues?

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
old_nic
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat

So if I answer your question as it stands, we had the same problem with another Virgin PAYG when we checked. However there was no problem with a Poste Italia mobile which uses the same ITIM network.

Notice the past tense. The problem mysteriously went away on both phones at the same time this morning. So it looks as if ITIM is picking on Virgin!

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi old_nic,

Is this still working for you now? 

Please keep me posted as we want to make sure this is fixed.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
old_nic
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi

It is still working. However it is intermittent. Sometimes I get a message back saying it is not sent, telling me (in English so I suppose from something in your system) telling me that I must put a + in front of the number when sending a message internationally, which of course I had done.

It does not happen on an Italian phone from the same location and network. However the signal strength is not good and it maybe the Italian phone has better signal reception/sensistivity and the whole thing is just a question of signal strength?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply old_nic Smiley Happy

It certainly seems like this could be down to signal strength if the + has been inserted. Do you get this message when the signal is higher?

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
old_nic
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi

we have only tried texts from one location, where we live, which has weak reception from TIM. Strangely one Virgin phone will connect to Wind as well as TIM, although both are weak, and it seems Wind always works. The other will not connect to Wind.?  Seems strange. I suppose I could swop SIMs and see what happens to that oddity.

At the moment both handsets work,and we have had no more problems, but then we have only sent two texts!!!! Maybe we will send some when we are moving around and if so will let you know.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No problem at all old_nic Smiley Happy

Glad to hear this is looking okay for you currently.

Please let me know if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos