Menu
alyandrob
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Useless phone, can't get VM to help!

I'm tied into a two year contract on a phone which is of less use than a pocket calculator, unable to upgrade it until September and given the catalogue of disasters trying to get support from Virgin Mobile today, not sure what else i can do.

My phone (Samsung Galaxy Fame) has never been particularly speedy, not sure if its the phone or the sim card at fault but now reached the stage where all apps lock up when I try to use them and it actually took me 20 minutes to attempt to get on the internet on Monday night - not good when I was stuck on a train needing to access information urgently. :-(

I tried the Phone Fix on VM's site today, which suggested a hard reset.  However, doing so, caused Virgin Rescue to kick in and lock my phone as stolen!

Unable to unlock it - pin number forgotten and the online account claimed that the device had expired.  I then had to spend 20 minutes of my lunch break trying to get through to Customer Service.

Finally got through to someone who gave me a new pin number.  So my phone is now unlocked again.  However the hard reset did no good and nobody I spoke to would give me any advice on what to do with it.  All i got was an apology! 

What exactly am I paying £16 a month for if I have a phone that's unfit for purpose and a support line that will do nothing but apologise and won't help me. (after making me wait for 20 minutes on hold - no apology for that!)

I have tried to send an email but that page just crashes every time I try, so my only option left is to post on here and hope that somebody from Virgin reads it and can help me.

I have a couple of further issues regarding my experience today:

1: being expected to give out my password in full over the phone.  I was calling from a public space, so this is not an acceptable secure method of identification.

2: being told that removing the SIM card automatically activates VM Rescue, so therefore i shouldn't have done that.  If that is the case, why does the Phone Fix pages not mention this issue?

Hope that I get some solution soon because a long standing customer has had enough and I will be changing to another supplier come September if things don't improve.

0 Kudos
defected_sound
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Useless phone, can't get VM to help!

alyandrob wrote:

I'm tied into a two year contract on a phone which is of less use than a pocket calculator, unable to upgrade it until September and given the catalogue of disasters trying to get support from Virgin Mobile today, not sure what else i can do.

My phone (Samsung Galaxy Fame) has never been particularly speedy, not sure if its the phone or the sim card at fault but now reached the stage where all apps lock up when I try to use them and it actually took me 20 minutes to attempt to get on the internet on Monday night - not good when I was stuck on a train needing to access information urgently. :-(

I tried the Phone Fix on VM's site today, which suggested a hard reset.  However, doing so, caused Virgin Rescue to kick in and lock my phone as stolen!

Unable to unlock it - pin number forgotten and the online account claimed that the device had expired.  I then had to spend 20 minutes of my lunch break trying to get through to Customer Service.

Finally got through to someone who gave me a new pin number.  So my phone is now unlocked again.  However the hard reset did no good and nobody I spoke to would give me any advice on what to do with it.  All i got was an apology! 

What exactly am I paying £16 a month for if I have a phone that's unfit for purpose and a support line that will do nothing but apologise and won't help me. (after making me wait for 20 minutes on hold - no apology for that!)

I have tried to send an email but that page just crashes every time I try, so my only option left is to post on here and hope that somebody from Virgin reads it and can help me.

I have a couple of further issues regarding my experience today:

1: being expected to give out my password in full over the phone.  I was calling from a public space, so this is not an acceptable secure method of identification.

2: being told that removing the SIM card automatically activates VM Rescue, so therefore i shouldn't have done that.  If that is the case, why does the Phone Fix pages not mention this issue?

Hope that I get some solution soon because a long standing customer has had enough and I will be changing to another supplier come September if things don't improve.

Hi alyandrob

If you have done as VM advised and did a hard reset and your phone is still not working correctly then I would advise you to call 789 from you virgin mobile, and select 'thinking of leaving us' option. Then explain to them the issue.

With regards to your two points at the end, ill give my take on things:

''1: being expected to give out my password in full over the phone.  I was calling from a public space, so this is not an acceptable secure method of identification.''

VM are within their rights to ask for this information to protect you and you and your account from suspicious activity. If you cannot be in a private space, and do not wish to give them details in public then its probably best to wait till your at home.

''2: being told that removing the SIM card automatically activates VM Rescue, so therefore i shouldn't have done that.  If that is the case, why does the Phone Fix pages not mention this issue?''

Yes, the VM Rescue protection will kick in if SIM is removed, this is to stop a rouge SIM being put in if your phone is ever stolen. And the APP is not made by VM its a 3rd party insurance company. 

Hope this helps, let us know how you got on! 

Spoiler

0 Kudos
alyandrob
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.  I am well aware of the need for security, however other companies get round this by asking for certain letters of the password, not ask me to spell out loud my confidential details!  Waiting until I got home was not an option as I had been locked out of my phone, so I needed it reactivated as a matter of urgency.  I had to make this call in my office, as of course I no longer had a mobile phone to make the call, so couldn't take it to a private space as I would usually for a confidential call.

With regards to the Virgin Rescue app kicking in.  My issue is that I was following instructions on the Virgin Mobile page and there should have been a warning that this might happen.  Regardless of whether it is a third party app, it is endorsed by Virgin Mobile, they told me to install it, they support the app, therefore they should warn customers of this risk.

These two points were more of a matter of feedback to Virgin, rather than asking for advice, as I appear to have no other way of leaving feedback with them.

and finally, my reason for posting on here is because I do not want to spend 20 minutes on hold on their phone line again, listening to dire pop music, only to have another advisor not listen to my complaint as happened before.  I tried to email them but that appears not to be working as the link took me to a broken page, so I'm hoping that somebody from Virgin can see this post and actually wish to help me.

Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi alyandrob,

Thanks for your posts.

I'm really sorry for the trouble you've had by performing the hard reset on the phone.

Our team will always ask for the full password to ensure full protection of the account. We take data protection incredibly seriously and this is non-negotiable I'm afraid.

With the sim removal, this is an option within Mobile Rescue that can be disabled if you so wish.

Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
alyandrob
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Dear Matt,

Thanks for your reply.  I still maintain that asking for a full password when the customer may not be in a secure location is not a secure option - other companies ask for specific letters from a password, I have never been asked to spell out my full password in public before!

You have also failed to address the more crucial matter of my post.  That I still have a useless phone, which won't work properly, despite my attempting the hard reset.  I could not get any assistance with this when i called and cannot waste another 20 minutes on hold to try to speak to someone else. 

Please advise on how i am to proceed, so that i can have a phone fit for its purpose for the duration of my contract.

Regards,

Alyson.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi alyandrob

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Thanks for your feedback on our Data Protection process - I'll ensure this point is fed back to the team for you Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues with the handset despite completing diagnostics via Phone Fix.

The best bet would be to continue with Phone Fix as, if the diagnostics do not resolve the issue, it will take you through the process of booking the handset in for repair, so our technicians can take a look for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
alyandrob
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK, thanks for your reply.  I'll try Phone Fix again but when i did it the first time, it didn't come up with another option once I noted that the reset didn't work.  Maybe that was down as well (as was the contact email page, which is why I've had to resort to posting on here in the hope that someone could finally help me!)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi alyandrob

Thanks for getting back in touch.

You definitely should be able to book your repair through Phone Fix if the diagnostics don't resolve the problem, but let me know if you're still having issues.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos