Menu
Seraphina
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Upgrading data allowance

I upgraded my data allowance last month. Have just tried to do it again (tried at the end of last month and was told can only do it once a month so to phone back in November) as realised still not enough and been told I cannot purchase any more data allowance on my contract. Advisor kept talking about 4G but don't really understand what this has to do with it. Surely if I want to pay you more monthly then that is a good thing?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrading data allowance

As far as I understand it, if you're on Freestyle or Pay Monthly SIM only, you can't change your 3G tariff to another 3G tariff as these plans have been retired.

To move to a new tariff, you can choose to migrate to one of the new 4G plans, which will require a new SIM to be sent out, and the new plan will activate on your next refresh date.

If you're on an inclusive handset deal you can upgrade to a plan that was available at the time you took your handset out. If the allowances you want aren't available within that set of tariffs and you're under a minimum term, you'll need to be out of the term to upgrade - either by it ending normally or by you paying out of the term.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Seraphina
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. I am on an inclusive handset deal and the operator just kept telling me I would have to buy out of my contract. So I can increase my data allowance but only if I upgrade to a 4G plan? That is soooo much clearer than was explained on the phone. Thanks again. Will try ringing again tomorrow
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes, but as I said (and as you were told on the phone) to upgrade to a 4G plan you may indeed have to buy out of your current deal - if you aren't close enough to your upgrade date.

This is because 4G wasn't available when you took out your current deal, so you will have a range of 3G plans you can change to. If you're already on the top plan, the only way to get more data will be to upgrade to 4G, which may mean exiting your current contract.

The same rules applied for inclusive handset deals when newer 3G plans were available so the situation isn't specific to the launch of 4G

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Seraphina
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant. Thank you. All makes sense now!
0 Kudos