Menu
erinw
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Upgrades and sims

Hi, my mum has a contract with virgin mobile, she only wishes to keep the sim card and when her upgrade is due, is giving the phone to me as i use pay as you go. Yet if she were to order an iphone then the sim that would come would be one compatible for the iphone and not her current phone as she needs a normal sim card. So would it be possible for virgin to allow her to upgrade to an iphone, yet allow her to continue to use a normal sim card as i would purchase a pay as you go sim that would be for the iphone?

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrades & sims

Erin, yes, in principle it will work, but may take a little while

When you mum updates the contract, she must ask up keep the same sim, then also ask for a payg sim for the iPhone. The iPhone will be locked to Virgin, they may unlock it for about £16 iirc. I'm unsure as to their unlocking policy, so they may not be happy about it. Regardless the phone will still be covered by virgins guarantee for 12 months, if it's lost or damaged the contract will still stand regardless of the phone condition.

I hope that covers all the possible issues for you
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrades & sims

Hi erinw

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Your mum would be able to continue using her current SIM, yes.

When she orders the iPhone, it'll come with a new SIM card on a 'self activation' basis.

This means the new SIM won't activate unless you follow the steps to activate it. If it's not activated after 30 days it will just expire and the old SIM will continue to work.

There would be no issues using a Pay As You Go SIM in the iPhone - just make sure you order the correct type! The new iPhones use the 'Nano'  size SIM.

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos