Menu
Warblers01
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade has overlapped with an old contract??

I recently ordered hubby a new phone as he was prepared to pay for the extra couple of months left on his contract as his Samsung was dying. It seems that the original contract wasn't cancelled so he's been paying for both phones/contracts for a while. Now I need to cancel the new number he's been given but if he wants to keep his previous number (which he does), I have to find a PAYG sim from another provider, give them a PAC then get a PAC from them to give back to Virgin to claim his number back on the correct contract. Does that make sense or have I totally misunderstood things...?? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade has overlapped with an old contract??

Hi Warbelers01,

yes, as odd as it might seem that is correct.

Virgin Mobile are not alone in this. With some networks it is not possible to "move" your number within the network.

Therefore the only way to transfer your old Virgin number to a new Virgin SIM would be to call 789 & request a PAC (Porting Authorisation Code) for the number.

Port your number out to another network (cheapest/easiest available SIM from any other network).

Request a PAC code from your new provider then port it back to Virgin on your new SIM card.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Warblers01
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, glad I'm not going mad! (I've ordered a freebie from O2 so hopefully, I can sort this asap!)

0 Kudos
Warblers01
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just a quick follow on - now that I have an O2 PAYG sim, do I place it into my handset and call their contact number to give them my Virgin PAC to transfer my old number? How long do I then wait before I call O2 again to ask them for a PAC to give back to Virgin?? I'm a bit confused in the hot weather!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Warblers01

Great questions!

You're correct that you would need to obtain the PAC code from the team on 789 / 0345 600 0789 to take the original Virgin Mobile number over to the new network.

Once you have this (bear in mind they're only valid for 30 days), just get in touch with temporary network and they'll need this PAC code to put the number onto that temporary SIM.

This will usually complete within a couple of days (they should be able to confirm the port date once it's arranged).

Once that's completed fully, you'll need to wait 24 hours or so to allow them to update their systems before requesting the PAC code from them to bring the number back to Virgin Mobile.

Once you have this code, you can speak to the team on 789 / 0345 600 0789 again and let us know the PAC code and confirm the temporary Virgin Mobile number you would like to replace it with.

We'll then be able to let you know the port date when you can expect the number to transfer over (it's usually the next working day).

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Warblers01
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Mark! We now have a temporary PAYG sim from O2 in place and have sent them our Virgin PAC. Just waiting for a response so we can then arrange to reverse the process! 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Warblers01

It's great to hear the wheels are in motion Smiley Happy

I'm confident everything will go to plan, but do keep us in the loop.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Warblers01
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I do hope so! Been on a contract for so long and it's the first time we've needed to do this due to an error with an upgrade issue. I'll keep you posted!

0 Kudos
Warblers01
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wow, I think we finally got this sorted!! O2 weren't particularly helpful and took at least a week to transfer the PAC back and forth so after a few calls and having to top up the PAYG sim twice, we were able to get back onto Virgin mobile with the original number and cancel the number we were given in error. What should've been fairly straight-forward ended up being tricky as both providers wanted to know what we wanted and why - and to be honest, we weren't exactly sure! Just that we needed to port in and out of VM to retain a current number on a new handset and contract. It was a tad inconvenient so I I'd really appreciate having a chat with someone about some form of compensation if possible. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Warblers01,

I'm glad to hear that this has been sorted out for you, apologies for the difficulties you experienced with the process.

Give Customer Services a call to discuss an adjustment on your account on 789 or 0345 6000 789 or get in touch via WebChat on Contact Us.

Kind regards,

0 Kudos