Menu
hjr1950
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unwanted premium texts

I have just seen that my monthly bill is £9 more than it should be, checking my online account I see it is two received texts @ £4.50 each from the following number

I remember receiving two texts to do with a competition but I deleted them, have had another one but did not open it, will see if I still get charged

Does anyone know how I cam stop these texts without getting extra charges please

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unwanted premium texts

The texts require a six digit number to stop from the phone, check text history and have a look, it may start with a 6

Facebook stuff can enable these as well

I copied this from which

How do I stop unwanted premium rate texts?

IN THIS ARTICLE
1 'STOP' unwanted premium texts
2 Complain to the company
3 Complain to Phone-paid Services Authority (PSA)
4 Prevent future premium rate issues
Have you discovered you're paying for premium rate texts you don't want and didn't ask for? Follow our advice to stop paying for these unwanted text messages.
SPREAD THE WORD

EMAIL & PRINT

1 'STOP' unwanted premium texts

If you receive an unwanted premium rate text, you should immediately contact your mobile provider and find out if you've been charged.

It's important that you:

don’t respond to unknown numbers
don't respond if you suspect the text is a scam
If the text is from a legitimate company you can:

reply to the message with 'STOP' or 'STOP ALL'
don’t reply to the message with anything else
keep the message for evidence – don't delete it
2 Complain to the company

If the charges continue, you should make a complaint to the company that runs the service in the first instance, if you know who this is.

If you're unsure of a number you've been asked to text or call, you can use the PSA Number Checker to check if they have the name and contact details for the company running the service.

Report it

You can use our free tool to report a nuisance call or text.
If you believe the text message is spam, you can report this directly to your mobile phone provider.

All operators now use 7726 as the number to use to report spam texts messages, which is free of charge.

You'll get a message back when you text this number asking you to send a second text with the actual number that texted you.

3 Complain to Phone-paid Services Authority (PSA)

If you’re unable to contact the company or they fail to resolve your complaint, contact the UK regulator for content, goods and services, charged to a phone bill -PSA.

You can call their free helpline on 0300 30 300 20 from 9.30am - 5pm Monday to Friday.

If a particular service is found to be 'misleading' by PSA, you may also be entitled to a refund.

In most cases though, refunds will not be given to those who agree - accidentally or not - to receive premium rate text messages.

4 Prevent future premium rate issues

You can ask your phone network provider to bar all premium rate calls or texts from being made from your phone.

Simply contact your provider and ask them to set this bar for your phone number.

SPREAD THE WORD

EMAIL & PRINT

0 Kudos
hjr1950
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, am working on it !

0 Kudos
charlotte25
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This happened to me for a contract i had out, my bill ended up being £20 more than it should have been. i repeatedly rang the virgin media team who only told me to text stop to the number, which i tried and failed. eventually i rang up again and explained the situation and asked for a new sim card with a new number and that worked for me. i still don't know how i ended up getting the premium number texts as i do not enter competitions or anything like that, and even though i explained that to the virgin media team when i called to query the bill they insisted that i had entered these competitions when i know for a fact that i didn't. i suggest you do what i did which is ask for a new sim and new number which worked for me, as i ended up paying a £50 bill before i changed the number. i haven't had any problems since then
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin can't just stop these texts, the companies are legit and have a legal rights to trade sadly, virgin did not start the problem off and are not responsible to stop it

Now after saying all that, they should be helping their customers out her, providing the info and advising on the method to stop them.
Sadly now most of this stuff is activated by clicking links in Facebook and the like without reading the small print, in those cases how can Virgin know how or where they were set up? And what can they do about them? Not a lot

When they are set up via a text you the customer send a text for a joke dirty photo or some such thing to a " short text code" normally a six figure text number starting with a six, you may have seen the sort of thing on charity adverts and the stuff on daytime tv offering big prizes ( I'm not saying they are an issue just an example of the six figure number).
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi hjr1950

Welcome to the community, sorry to hear about the premium text charges on your account.

Replying to any of these text messages with 'STOP' or 'STOPALL' will unsubscribe you from the service and stop any further messages being sent to your mobile number.

Regards

Dave

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No it won't, you need to reply to the six digit code not the thirteen digit number they arrive on, not all are set up by text, so then you need to find out how, who to and then contact the company to stop them, it's not as simple as your answer, read up before you answer with a one size fits all reply, your staff and should know better
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Info on who they are from and the short code needed to text STOP, can be got from the EE Third Party Services (link below)

The number you need to put in is 700046069, not 0700046069 as in OP.

http://ee.co.uk/help/accounts-billing-and-topping-up/billing-and-payment/your-bill-explained/third-p...

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.