Menu
PESH
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Unwanted Premium messages

Hi all, I have received so far two Premium Texts which shows the number 700046813 on the records but there is nothing on the mobile phone that shows this.  How do I block this number as it's costing me £4.50 each text received.   Help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Paul

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unwanted Premium messages

Hi Paul,

Virgin arent able to block these premium texts for you & simply using something like a call blocker on your phone isn’t going to prevent you from being charged.

A simple Google search suggests that replying “STOP ALL” should end the service.

If this doesn’t work and you cannot stop them. Complain to PhonePayPlus - 0300 30 300 20

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
If this has helped answer your question > click 'Helpful Answer' also.

PESH
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Cheers Alex, I'll give your suggestions a go.  It is so frustrating when your bill goes from £22pm to over £40.   Thanks for your help

Regards

Paul

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Paul,

Virgin arent able to block these premium texts for you & simply using something like a call blocker on your phone isn’t going to prevent you from being charged.

A simple Google search suggests that replying “STOP ALL” should end the service.

If this doesn’t work and you cannot stop them. Complain to PhonePayPlus - 0300 30 300 20

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
If this has helped answer your question > click 'Helpful Answer' also.

PESH
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Cheers Alex, I'll give your suggestions a go.  It is so frustrating when your bill goes from £22pm to over £40.   Thanks for your help

Regards

Paul

0 Kudos
6904peter
Just joined
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Similar problem except that texts were never received. Unable to check bill as website does not recognise mobile no, email address, password (reset by phone last night), account number, security question or even me! Company sending texts deny sending them!
0 Kudos
pavmas
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes I got charged 3 lots of £4.50 and another 3 this month after putting in Stop All' the web if full of Virgin users who have been conned with this.

What do Virgin do' say it must have been us and when we say no we tracked it down to an online competition not a call  and as we never ever put our mobile numbers online they said you must have put it online somewhere.

They called us liars' their paying customers who have TV, BB and mobile packages are liars and a company from perhaps Nigeria are telling the truth.

F. U virgin as soon as all my contracts are up Im off.

I dont care if I have had good service in the past' but I let no one  call me a liar and not in my own home at the end of a phone.

And I suggest you hand back the part of the £4.50s you get as it was stolen from you customers.

You have to cancel your sim and get a new one' other users are saying virgin blocked it as its an online charge but they told me they can't.

I'm now thinking of cancelling my DD till the end of my contracts and only pay what I know I'm due and let them take me to court for the false charges thet they resfuse to return. £36 over charged stolen from me and they say they cant stop it and offer me £10. Maybe in America but here in the UK.

pavmas
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Its not a text its some kind of online competition so virgin can block it but they claim they can't they have blocked it for some but not for others do a web search, must think we are mug customers who are good for a few months rip off yet.

The only option is phone 150 tell them its fraud and you want a new sim, once they are aware its fraud then you are not libel for anymore call charges if they fail to stop them.

0 Kudos
pavmas
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thats a load of Nonsense that Virgin can't stop it'  Virgin Can't stop Premium texts to an online web based competition using your number when BT could stop them 10 years ago, Virgin cant put in Premium calls max £2 which would block these £4.50 calls instantly. But what really annoys me is the Fraudster Virgin and the Government all make money from me being ripped off, not happy with £4.50 the government charges VAT on top so the more the fraud the more tax I pay, its no wonder they don't want to put an end to this.

pavmas
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well here we are at the weekend another Sunday morning, new sim not delivered despite it saying in my account that it was delivered yesterday successful

my account just keep ringing up charges of £4.50 on a sim that 3 days ago i phone virgin and told them stop that card now, cancel it block it it is fraud, Virgin said ok but never bothered, god knows where the sim that they have marked down as delivered yesterday is, suppose now I will start getting charged calls that I mad to India or somewhere now. I am left with no option but to cancel my direct debit to the phone, as I have a sim thats marked as delivered and was not delivered a sim that was meant to be cancelled that was not cancelled and about six £4.50 calls since I told them to just scrap that sim and phone number as they said they could not block fraud on my sim and that I must pay. Im not the only one loads of virgin customers are been hit by this and Virgin are claiming we must have used our phone number online. We never ever put our mobile numbers online in anything not even job applications and house phone only, but hey Virgin say we must have so we must pay, Im leaving here now going straight to my online bank and cancelling the DD. Virgin is closed to monday and I'm stress out as this just keeps rising, so if I cancel that then it becomes virgins problem, my contract for that sim is £20 a month where extra calls are now at £42 so a min of £62 and £34 last month. That is the problem of DD these companies refuse to sort out problems not even fraud as they get their money anyway and tough. So cancelling that sim DD and will phone tomorrow to see the earliest I can get out of TV BB and sim deals, in 6 year I have not had one problem and now I have what I think is a simple problem lasting weeks, this should have been sorted out the day I phoned them' since Last sunday I have been dealing with this.

0 Kudos
pavmas
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have calmed down a bit and began to think. The situation is that I don't have a mobile phone myself as I'm Blind in my right eye and have failing sight in the other so can't see the screen of a mobile. The sim in question is one I have for my Grand Daughter.

Now Virgin said that she must have entered  a competition or put her mobile number in somewhere' which I thought was a joke that they could not even tell me who was taking all these £4.50s

Now I got thinking my Grandaughter if she had would have put in her email and her home address if she had entered a competition' as she does not know my email, so if she did enter a competition with different email then why would this not be rejected.

So I could sit at my computer all day long entering competitions  and just put in random phone numbers ***********, now that's just a random phone number and if I added that in a competition with my email then the poor person has no comeback and will be charged £4.50, Virgin won't even tell them what competition who the £4.50 is going to. This is fraud and fraud on a massive scale and Virgin offer me a £10 Voucher for fraud calls of £18.50 last month and running at £42 now for this month. I can only conclude that this fraud is so massive that Virgin are involved just as HSBC were handling drug money. I will be phoning West Midlands police tomorrow and ask to talk to the fraud dept, as more than just a number must be needed to enter a competition and as that info was not available to my Grand daughter then the phone number reg to me and my email are never together or used together only when Virgin send me my bill,  It is my assumption that Virgin make roughly £1 per call from £4.50 that's a guess and that will be about £12 from me alone and how many thousands are affected by this. Virgin refused point blank to help me in this so must assume they are part of it' I will be reporting all this to West Midland  police and Contacting my MP' I know her she is on my twitter account so that's easy enough.  Virgin you forgot the main thing " the customer is always right" and I refuse to sit back and be called a liar in my own home' this maybe the new way of doing things but in my day you treated your customers with respect.

So to other users' if someone sticks 10 digits at random and it happens to be yours you are libel for that'  Phone companies may find that acceptable but I don't  as to get into my bank account I need 3 different parts of information  at the very least if my sim can be charged £4.50 a time then it must match my email, what if someone has the same 9 digits as you and their 10th number is 7 and yours is 8 and they press the wrong key  that means you get charged instead of them and that why I will be calling for an investigation by the fraud squad and writing a full report for my MP.

If my sim phone number alone can used then what is to stop fraudsters just putting in random numbers to their own competitions' I will phone virgin first to see if they will provided me with all detaials including who my £4.40s went to and what checks they did before adding them to my account, yesterday it was  £18.50 this morning it is £42 that is 6 calls in a day and this is after I alerted virgin to the fraud' something is wrong here very very wrong.

I think its a disgrace that a company thinks so little of its customers that it allows this to continue.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. To send a Private Message (PM) please click the envelope icon (top right). Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi All,

Thanks for your input with this. I really do appreciate your concerns with regards to being billed for something you haven't signed up to. This has happened to me on 2 different networks and was just as frustrated as you.

It doesn't have to be a competition per se. For example, I've typed into Google 700046813 and straight away come across the same number with EE here. It suggests they could have gotten details from simply clicking on a Facebook advert.

These companies can get information from many different ways. If a Facebook profile is public, if you've put your car up for sale. They may even be using automatic number generators but I'm not 100% certain on that.

pavmas, you've randomly typed in 11 numbers which could very well be someone's actual number. This is a public forum so it has just been broadcast to the whole world. Something as innocent as that can cause a chain of events you see. I've alerted the moderators to remove this.

In summary, I don't know how it all works exactly but I've seen it covered on the news previously as no one really governs it. It's really hard to track down where they get the information from.

I hope this clears things up slightly but I'm afraid our hands remained tied on this.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos