Menu
Dundeebullfrog
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Unwanted Premium Texts

We were dissatisfied with our previous network and as we have been TV and Broadband customers for many years with few problems we took out 3 mobile contracts less than a month ago. We are horrified to discover that we are being charged £10 a time for incoming premium texts which are unwanted. Some mistake has obviously been made but it was unintentional. Two of our lines were actually cut off (although now restored), My daughter and myself have made several calls to try and sort this out as quickly as possible. Basically we want all these scammers blocked from contacting us and charges refunding but are finding it difficult. I did speak to someone who I thought was going to sort it but we have also been told to send "stop" texts but they don't all seem to work. Desperately need help!!!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unwanted Premium Texts

Honest companies would respond to the 'stop' text & cease contact but more often it just confirms the number is genuine & you end up receiving more premium texts.

I'm sure there's a way to block premium rate numbers from calling you but not sure about blocking texts, I know some phones may have that ability but would it work to stop the charges.

Virginia/Doctor9fan. If I have helped please give me Kudos.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dundeebullfrog,

texting back "STOP" or “STOP ALL” to the shortcode (usually about 5 numbers) should end the service.

Blocking them from your phone won't stop you being charged.

Try entering the number into EE's Third Party Services Checker to see if that gives you contact information for the company and contact them directly.

Or use this site: PhonepayPlus. They are the UK regulator for premium rate services.

Once you have the contact information you can try and ask for a refund as you have "subscribed" accidentally.

If the company is operating outside of the rules governing this type of service, file a complaint with the regulator.

Good luck and let us know how you get on Smiley Happy

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dundeebullfrog,

Thank you for coming in, welcome Smiley Happy

Premium texts are never the best, especially if it's not what you wanted. Another great bit of advice from AlexKid and we'dlove to know how you have faired after you post? Did you manage to idenify the company?

Keep in touch.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos