Menu
AndyMo
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Unsolicited Premium Text Messages - £4.50 text!

Hello,

I received the latest bill for one of our phones. We have 5 unsolicited premium text entries, costing £4.50 each. They originate from this number: 700146371.

This prompts a couple of questions:

• How do we go about getting a refund?
  • How do we stop further unsolicited texts from this number, and other numbers?

Thanks!

Andy

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
GAT7
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unsolicited Premium Text Messages - £4.50 text!

Interesting, not come across this before.

Some useful tips in these links to deal with this problem - before & after:

I'm being charged for unwanted premium rate text messages

How do I stop unwanted premium rate texts?

Couple of key points that could be helpful to some:

"Texts of this kind can only be sent out if you sign up to the service." (whether knowingly or unknowingly)

"Prevent future premium rate issues. You can ask your phone network provider to bar all premium rate calls or texts from being made from your phone. Simply contact your provider and ask them to set this bar for your phone number."

0 Kudos

All Replies
spell
Well-informed
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you feed the number into the search engine at the top you will find another thread which gives some info.

On that occasion Mat (moderator) contacted the poster by private mail so don't know how it ended up.

In the meantime if you ring in hopefully you should get a refund - although obviously you don't want to be having to do that every month - it needs sorting.

Good luck with it.

AndyMo
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

And, another one appears on a different bill. A different number but another case of unsolicited premium text - at £3.00.

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
AndyMo
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just to confirm. When attempting to send a STOP message, we are warned we will be charged. We didn't OK as heaven knows how much we will be charged.

How do we go about stopping these unsolicited text messages - can Virgin Mobile do this for us?

The last resort will be changing numbers - for four mobile phones!

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
AndyMo
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for the information. It appears to be a common problem and allowing scammers a lot of success.

0 Kudos
AndyMo
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for the information. It appears to be a common problem and allowing scammers a lot of success
0 Kudos
mutt08
Superfast
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Same problem, I noticed today a premium rated text on my bill for £4.50 from 700046824.

I contacted Virgin mobile & was told that I needed to send a text with 'STOP' to a number that he gave to me & that I woudnt be charged for this text.

No refund of the £4.50 was offered but I was given a telephone number for the company that was responsable for the text so I could try & claim a refund.

Not holding out much hope though.

0 Kudos
GAT7
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Interesting, not come across this before.

Some useful tips in these links to deal with this problem - before & after:

I'm being charged for unwanted premium rate text messages

How do I stop unwanted premium rate texts?

Couple of key points that could be helpful to some:

"Texts of this kind can only be sent out if you sign up to the service." (whether knowingly or unknowingly)

"Prevent future premium rate issues. You can ask your phone network provider to bar all premium rate calls or texts from being made from your phone. Simply contact your provider and ask them to set this bar for your phone number."

0 Kudos
AndyMo
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the info - and sorry to hear you've been hit by the same/similar scam. It is odd - not had a problem for a couple if decades then hit on two separate mobiles with similar scams. I need to sort it and/or change numbers. I've had four different mobiles with Virgin for many years so hoping someone will go the extra mile to help. Thanks, Andy
0 Kudos
AndyMo
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you!

Very odd. Not had this before and have had four mobiles in the family for years.
0 Kudos