Menu
Sarah73
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Unlocking phones - what a rip off!

I have an old Galaxy Ace, which I bought from VM as a pay-as-you-go a couple of years ago, because they were quite cheap and I was new to smartphones. Now I've discovered they charge £15.32 to unlock it, which is almost as much as the phone is now worth. 

Fortunately I have a new phone, not from VM because I got really fed up with their high costs and rubbish customer service. I don't want to chuck out a perfectly decent phone that could be reused, but the cost makes it economically unviable. I tried speaking to customer services, but they were as useless as always!

How do they justify the cost? Is there any way around it?

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unlocking phones - what a rip off!

Hi Sarah73,

you might be able to get your phone unlocked cheaper from a local independent phone shop or by purchasing an unlock code from ebay.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They justify the cost because that's what a high street shop will charge you to unlock it.

Yes there are ways round it but you need to be a bit tech savvy.

So largely your options are, get the expertise yourself or pay someone with the expertise.

I don't mean that to sound blunt, I agree its a bit rich after you paid good money for likely some considerable time to VM on your PAYG plan. But it is what it is.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Sarah73,

you might be able to get your phone unlocked cheaper from a local independent phone shop or by purchasing an unlock code from ebay.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They justify the cost because that's what a high street shop will charge you to unlock it.

Yes there are ways round it but you need to be a bit tech savvy.

So largely your options are, get the expertise yourself or pay someone with the expertise.

I don't mean that to sound blunt, I agree its a bit rich after you paid good money for likely some considerable time to VM on your PAYG plan. But it is what it is.

Sarah73
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I still don't know how to get VM to unlock it though. It's an old phone so when I phoned their un-helpline all they could say was that it's not registered on their system anymore. 

I hate that it seems to be easier to just throw these things away when they still could be usable.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

They SHOULD go back to the manufacturer and pull an unlock code for you. Its not a problem on newer handsets as they are sold unlocked, but older handsets should still receive support.

If you know anyone fairly tech savvy they should be able to do it fairly easily- I don't like waste either...

Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked to see if the phone is actually locked? If this was a contract phone as opposed to a PAYG then it might well have been supplied factory unlocked to start with.

You should also view the £15.32 as a limit. Shops that unlock phones can be found on any high street or market. What's the going rate for your make and model? It might well be possible to get the code on ebay. Pick a vendor with high volume and good feedback who state they can unlock your make and model from Virgin UK. I've unlocked a variety of handsets from as little as £2-£3. The code is emailed usually within a few hours.

A quick ebay search suggests that the going rate for a Samsung Galaxy Ace locked to a UK network is £8.99, however Android 4.1.2 is not supported. I've no idea why that is.

Sarah73
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I might try that. The phone is only worth around £30, but it's the principle of the Matt that got me. It was PAYG, but I thought as I owned the phone it was mine to do with as I pleased. How wrong I was.
0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If it was purchased as PAYG then it was likely locked, but sometimes not. If you decide to buy the code from an ebay vendor then please note the caveat concerning the Android version. 

Sarah73
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Will do. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sarah73,

Thank you for coming in and posting about the phone being unlocked. I can see you've already had some friendly advice here on this from the Community, thanks everyone Smiley Happy

I would like to know if you've been able to try a sim with a different network to see if the device performs as usual? If not, please can you give our team a call on 789 and the team will be able to sort this out hassle free and quickly for you Smiley Happy

If there's anything that I can help you with please let me know Smiley Happy

Take care.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos