Menu
neolith
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Unlocking iPhone

Hello,

I am Virgin pay as you go customer. 

Recently I bought used iPhone 5 device and realized that it is locked to Virgin. The point is that I'm not in UK anymore and I can't use my phone abroad with another carrier sim! 

I have called Virgin support number asking them to unlock my device so I could use it, but was rejected because I don't know personal data of the phones first owner. 

Can you unlock my phone? I have all the technical data SN, Imei, first activation date, Apple ID, but no personal data of first owner.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unlocking iPhone

Ok it's a security thing, it could be stolen, so that the original owner has the sole rights to the phone until they inform Virgin it's yours. You've seen the issues the FBI had when trying to access a terrorists iPhone, they could not get it unlocked from Apple, your in the same boat.

0 Kudos
neolith
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Well, so why then almost all other mobile operators across the world allow to officially unlock iphones via iTunes or by filling forms where you don't have to write first owners name? Even Virgin Australia allow to unlock their phones via iTunes why Virgin UK can't?

There is a "Find my iPhone" service for stolen ones...

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I not up to speed on overseas network operators, but I'll bet there is an ownership check somewhere

0 Kudos