Menu
Catkilic
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unlocking - getting differing answers

Hi,

I have a Samsung galaxy ace 4 which was given to me by a friend. I contacted virgin to ask about unlocking and was told that my friend needed to phone to request the unlock as she still held the contract. When she phoned however, she was told that Virgin do not unlock phones that a customer had had for over 12 months. I've looked online and can't see anything that puts a time limit on unlocking a phone but the guy just kept reading the same answer over and over again. Can anyone tell me if this is true? She got the phone in November 2014 as an upgrade but decided to keep her existing phone so she's never used it. I've put in a virgin SIM card and it works ok but won't accept any other SIM. Thank you
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unlocking - getting differing answers

Hi, I can't see there being a time limit (infact to get a free unlock from Tesco mobile on one of their phones you have to have had it for OVER 12 months).

Virgin terms: "8.5 Unlocking your handset: Handsets that are used to access our Services are locked to the Network. If you wish to unlock your handset from the Network you will need to contact our Team and pay the Charges for unlocking your handset as set out in the Tariff Table. You will also need to have paid all Charges owing on your account before we unlock your handset. For security reasons you will also need to register the handset you wish to unlock with us before we unlock it for you."

So as it is registered to your friend she should be able to have it unlocked (I believe the fee is £15.32).

Alternatively just pop into your nearest independent phone shop with the phone & ask them (it may well be cheaper).

AlexKid :-)

Catkilic
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, that's exactly what I thought. I can't find anything anywhere online that states a time limit. However, the info online is different to what they're saying on the phone with regards to charges and how long it takes anyway so it's like banging my head against a brick wall trying to get an answer from them lol. They told me originally on the phone that it's free to unlock a contract phone and it takes 25 hours but online it states £15.32 and 30 days.

My friend did originally taken it to a local shop months ago to have it unlocked, she paid £20 and left thinking it was unlocked. She's used them before so had no reason to doubt them but then when I've tried to put a different SIM in a few weeks ago, we've found that it's still locked.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi, in this case I wouldn't bother asking Virgin again.
Instead, go back to your local shop who've had your £20. Show them the phone & ask them to do the job properly.

AlexKid :-)
Catkilic
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

We've tried that too but unfortunately it was months ago and we can't prove that we even took it there so they refuse to do anything. Thanks anyway though
0 Kudos