Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6 (165 Views)

Unlocking an iPhone 5s

I had an unlocked iPhone 5s purchased from John Lewis last December. I put in my daughter's SIM from her ongoing Virgin account and she's been happily using it until a few weeks ago when I decided to port it to a cheaper ID mobile deal. Got the PAC code and the SIM and set the wheels in motion. Put the SIM in and I get a "SIM not supported" message.

I ring ID they say its because the phone is locked to Virgin. "You need to ring Virgin". I do. They say its not locked and that as its not on their system any more as its been ported there's nothing they can do. Tell me to ring Apple. I do and they say they don't lock phones, its the first SIM you put in the phone which locks it you need to ring Virgin. I ring Virgin again, they say they can't unlock it, its not locked. Repeat all this TWICE more. I've spent about 6 hours on the phone.

I try the iTunes Restore feature. Makes no difference.Try the other tricks people on the internet suggest, again no difference. SIM works fine in other phones. I put in another Virgin SIM into the iPhone - works perfectly. This would suggest it is locked to Virgin. I go to the Apple store - they use an app to tell me its locked to T-Mobile/Orange. I take this info to the Virgin shop. They agree it is locked and ring support and get them to fill in an "unlocking form" which will take 3/4 days. I ring today to check progress and they have no idea about the form, and the dufus I was talking about sneakily passes me to Apple Support who then say they can't believe Virgin are denying its their fault.

This as you can probably imagine is infuriating. I have a phone I can't use because Virgin Mobile are so incompetent.

So anyone out there have a clue as to what to do. And as I've said, I've already tried the Restore, and the Reset All Settings and Data options.

Has it got anything to do with the fact the SIM is from a few years ago, and Virgin have changed their carrier from T-Mobile/Orange to EE (although arent they effectively the same just rebranded)?

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 2 of 6 (150 Views)

Re: Unlocking an iPhone 5s

Hi I lve just tried to put a id SIM card in an iPhone 6 that as far as I was aware was not locked to virgin but I'm getting the same message as you did. Im using a virgin rolling sim but the phone was not from them. I'm not wanting to go through all the stress you clearly have so I'm hoping someone will come up with an answer on here. We are wasting money as the new id sim can't be used at all. Please reply if anyone knows what to do
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 3 of 6 (146 Views)

Iphones lock to the first sim entered. This is not something virgin have done its something apple have designed the iphones to do. Its by design. The design is APPLES.

If you had put the ID sim in an unlocked iPhone first it would be locked to ID. Its an apple design. Its apples fault. it's apples problems.

This is why I hate an will never use iPhones. If apple want to do it this way they can because no matter what apple does wrong apple fanboi will always buy apple sh*t
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 6 (124 Views)

I too steer clear of overpriced Apple products myself - its my daughter's phone. It is Apple's hardware and operating system so yes they are complicit in the locking, but it takes two to tango - the carriers want to lock you into their ecosystem and Apple facilitate it.

At the end of the day I don't give a toss who unlocks my phone as long as somebody does and it doesn't cost me anything. Virgin have proved totally incompetent and their customer support has been woeful. I also find it unbelievable that Apple can't connect to the phone (similar to using ADB in Android) and unlock it.

Its now been nearly two weeks and they still haven't sorted it.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 6 (122 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Aghiaanna

You may have better luck if you ring Virgin and ask to be unlocked - you'll need your number and the IMEI number (written on the case).

If they say they don't have any record as the number has been ported then you may be in the same boat. But they should unlock before they port the number (you'd think!).

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 6 (109 Views)

The good news is they finally unlocked the phone. Seems like making a formal complaint and threatening to move to another provider worked.God knows why it took them nearly two weeks but this has convinced me to shift all my family's phones to another provider.

Bad customer service and value for money just doesn't cut it these days.

0 Kudos