Menu
dangrove98
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Unlocked iPhone 5s mobile data issues

Hi guys. I bought an iPhone 6 from Apple the other day (I'm on 3) and gave my old 5s to my brother, who's on Virgin. The phone was reset through the iOS "reset all content and settings" option so that it was completely fresh when I gave it to him and was also bought unlocked from Apple, just over a year ago.

After activating his new Nano SIM, texting and calling from my brother's iPhone works fine and as expected. However, it won't connect to any of Virgin's mobile data networks - it has a steady 3-5 bars/dots of signal but never a data connection. His account is set up to allow mobile data usage and the mobile data toggle is definitely on, with the data connection type set to 3G. When I went to edit the APN settings, I couldn't find the tab for them in the iOS settings but they were there when I was using the 5s with 3.

Exactly the same thing happens when I switch the SIMs between the phones - my iPhone 6 also won't connect to Virgin's mobile data and the APN settings option disappears, whilst the 5s still works fine with 3, as it always did.

Considering that the SIM is presumably connecting the phone to the network itself fine, what is/could be the issue(s) here? The phone has never been locked and is working fine with non-data services. The 5s also has the latest Virgin carrier settings installed (22.1) as these were updated when the SIM was activated.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dan

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
parajack
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unlocked iPhone 5s mobile data issues

Set the 'Voice and Data' to LTE. I have the 5s and came over from 3 and all is fine here. Unlocked via itunes the same as you.

0 Kudos
dangrove98
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, it turns out that the mobile data had been disabled for that account - a quick phone call fixed it.

Does Virgin work with 4G yet for standard customers? If it doesn't, what does the LTE option in the mobile data settings do?

Cheers,
Dan
0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dangrove98

At present Virgin Mobile doesnt have 4G for its personal customers, only business.

The LTE option within the handset is their because the phone itself would support a 4G service. If Virgin do bring in 4G then the LTE option would then be used , however , at this time the option is redundant

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos