Menu
k_dominic
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unlock mobile

I have a rolling 30 day sim only contract with Virgin Mobile. I have bought a new Microsoft Nokia 535 phone only to find out that it is locked to Tesco's network.

How can I locked it? Can virgin services do that for me?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
bromham
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unlock mobile

Virgin can't unlock a mobile phone that's locked to another network.  It sounds like you bought a Tesco Pay-As-You-Go phone: these are usually cheaper than an unlocked phone because they're subsidised by the network (Tesco) in the hope that they'll recover the subsidy from the profit on the calls that you make using it.

You could try returning the phone if you don't want to use it with Tesco's network.  Otherwise, market stalls are the traditional place to get mobiles unlocked.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi k_dominic,

as you have a Tesco locked mobile phone you will need to contact Tesco Mobile for an unlock code before your phone will accept a SIM from any other network.

You can contact Tesco Mobile on 0345 300 6660. I believe the charge for an unlock is £10.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
If this has helped answer your question > click 'Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
k_dominic
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Correction: How can I unlock it?
0 Kudos
bromham
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin can't unlock a mobile phone that's locked to another network.  It sounds like you bought a Tesco Pay-As-You-Go phone: these are usually cheaper than an unlocked phone because they're subsidised by the network (Tesco) in the hope that they'll recover the subsidy from the profit on the calls that you make using it.

You could try returning the phone if you don't want to use it with Tesco's network.  Otherwise, market stalls are the traditional place to get mobiles unlocked.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi k_dominic,

as you have a Tesco locked mobile phone you will need to contact Tesco Mobile for an unlock code before your phone will accept a SIM from any other network.

You can contact Tesco Mobile on 0345 300 6660. I believe the charge for an unlock is £10.

If this has helped answer your question > click 'Helpful Answer' also.

k_dominic
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks AlexKid. Your help is much appreciated.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi k_dominic,

you're welcome. I hope that you manage to get it unlocked OK so that you can use your Virgin SIM.

Even at £10 for an unlock on top of the price of the phone, hopefully you've got a bargain Smiley Happy

I'd noticed a while back on HUKD that Tesco were selling these quite cheap.

0 Kudos