Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 3 (100 Views)

Unlock iPhone 6s to other network

I have recently upgraded to an iPhone 7 from iPhone 6s. I am giving my iPhone 6s to a friend who uses another network. I rang VM yesterday who said they need to get a code from Apple to unlock and I'd get an email with the code. No email with code received. I rang today and was advised to plug phone into iTunes and it should just unlock. This is really frustrating as it is clearly not the case.

How do I get the iPhone 6s unlocked so that another network SIM card can be used?
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 2 of 3 (85 Views)

Re: Unlock iPhone 6s to other network

I am having a similar case. I bought a sim free handset from one of the store and used virgin monthly contract sim only for two months and I gifted the handset to one of my relative outside of uk, I was unaware that virgin had locked my handset without my consent and when I spoke to them they said it can be unlocked just by connecting to iTunes which is a lie...😤😤I m going to speak to them again tomorrow..
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 3 of 3 (76 Views)

Re: Unlock iPhone 6s to other network

VM will have to contact Apple to request that they remove the lock (only Apple can do this legally), there may be a cost to do that, then you remove the sim & replace it with a different one (non EE/VM) & it should unlock, sometimes you have to reset the device to factory defaults in order to pick up the new settings.
To check if the phone is unlocked try this: 

You'll need to be able to power up the iPhone and access the cellular settings (you may need to enter the four-digit passcode). Follow these steps to check in iOS if an iPhone is unlocked:

Open Settings.
Tap Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options. (In older versions of iOS you will just have to tap Mobile - or Cellular, if the device is set to American English.)
Check for an option named Mobile Data Network (or Cellular Data Network).
If you see an option for Mobile Data Network then your iPhone is most likely unlocked. This option should not appear on locked iPhones.

This is what the site says about VM:

Virgin Mobile
Virgin says any iPhone purchased from the company within the past year or so will be unlocked already, but some older iPhones might not have the same luck.

The good news is that all you'll need to do is update your iPhone to iOS 8 or later and it'll be unlocked for you. (Note that updating iOS will install the most recent version that your device is capable of running, so at time of writing most active iPhones will get iOS 10. This is fine for these purposes, and has lots of nice new features too.)

If your iPhone isn't compatible with a sufficiently recent version of iOS - that is, if it's an iPhone 4 or older - you'll be able to perform a full restore of your iPhone to unlock it. Don't forget to back up your data first, though.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-unlock-an-iphone-2017-uk-3501427/

Virginia/Doctor9fan. If I have helped please give me Kudos.
0 Kudos