Menu
marshkj
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unknown Broadband Usage

On 5/9/2015 at 22:35 my iphone used 297mb of broadband. As my monthly allowance is 250mb my bill for August included £31 of for excessive broadband use (£1 a day for a month). Virgin have agreed to halve this amount but the fact is that my phone apparently used 297mb of broadband on its own accord.

Virgin say that they are legally forbidden from trying to identify what the broadband usage was and cannot help me any further.

Does anyone out there have any ideas as to what may have happened and what I can do to prevent a recurrence? 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unknown Broadband Usage

What phone is it? Mousy smart phones have the ability to break down network usage by app.

It could be, for example, that your phone is set up to automatically download updates for apps.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What phone is it? Mousy smart phones have the ability to break down network usage by app.

It could be, for example, that your phone is set up to automatically download updates for apps.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi marshkj,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

This can be a little annoyingSmiley Sad

I had a similar issue with my wife's phone recently but luckily I caught it before it went over the allowance. As a result I set the phones data usage to just below her allowance limit so she couldn't go over this in future. The phones data connection will turn off when it reach's the limit you set.

I've provided a link here to our handset support. If you locate your handset then go to the mobile network, internet and data services section there is a guide on setting up data usage limits.

Hope this helps.

Let us know how it goes.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
marshkj
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that.

It is an Iphone5s and my normal data usage for a month would be 80mb max (734mb since 16/12/14)

I do have automatic updates but I don't have many apps and none that use much data.

Out of the 734 mb used since last December 297mb was apparently used at 22:35 on 05/08/15 on one connection to the internet.

I am not a computer expert but the whole thing does not make sense and I am sure that it must be something that Virgin have done but they say not.

Thanks for the response   

0 Kudos
marshkj
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stephen - thanks for the reply.
My normal data usage (excluding the 297mb used at 22:35 on 5/8/15) is 50mb/month
There has been no excessive usage of any app (200mb total app usage since last Dec) with 218mb of system services.
The 297mb used on 5/8/15 is still a mystery which I still consider to be as a result of some action by Virgin although I have no idea what
Cheers, Ken Marsh
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

marshkj wrote:
Out of the 734 mb used since last December 297mb was apparently used at 22:35 on 05/08/15 on one connection to the internet.

I am not a computer expert but the whole thing does not make sense and I am sure that it must be something that Virgin have done but they say not.

I'm inclined to agree with Virgin. They can't do anything from their end to force your phone to use the internet. Do you ever connect your phone to a broadband wifi router?

Your phone is full of apps that might use the internet at will. The operating system may also use the internet for its own purposes, and depending on how you've set up your email, you might even get someone sending you masses of attachments (if it's spam, you might never even know about it).

What version of IOS are you on? (use Settings/General/About)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply.

Appreciate what your seeing might seem a little strange but as Gorf has mentioned there's nothing we could do this end to force your handset to use the internet.

Something I've noticed with my own handset is when I wake up in the morning and check it the wireless connection to my router has dropped at some point. As a result it would have used mobile data through out the night.

Apps are also getting larger in size so an update could be potentially be as high as you've noticed. Even if you don't have many 3rd party apps the factory installed apps also have the potential to update using data in the process.  

If you wish you could call our mobile team on 789 or alternatively on 0345 6000 789 so they can take a closer look at this for you.

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Stephen_B wrote:

Something I've noticed with my own handset is when I wake up in the morning and check it the wireless connection to my router has dropped at some point. As a result it would have used mobile data through out the night.

This happens with my Samsung - I've not worked out how long it takes after the screen switches off before the wifi also cuts out. The wifi comes back on with something simple like checking the time - there's not any need to even unlock the device to get wifi back for several minutes.

Two things I've noticed about having mobile data off and wifi on: The battery lasts at least 100% longer, and I'm not getting the annoying Samsung wolf whistle during the night just because of an incoming spam

0 Kudos