Menu
Roy_Cromb
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unable to use data roaming abroad despite it being set up. Virgin Help useless. Sorted out myself.

I spent some time looking through this forum while abroad on wifi, unable to use Virgin Data pass I had paid for (both in Spain and then Ireland). I could find no solution to my problem.  Neither could Virgin Help despite several calls - which in Spain went unanswered or were cut off - while in Ireland the proposed solutions did not work. I tried switching data roaming off and on, which did no good but I sometimes got a message that I hoped might help - about how I couldn't access the internet because my access to data roaming had not been set up before I left my home network. 

Eventually I found a suggestion on a Amazon web page, which I thought I would share in case someone else had the same issue.  I think the main reason for my problems was that I was using a new phone, which I had never used abroad before. On my old phone (a Blackberry) I had been able to get data roaming without any problem.   The phone was my wife's old Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, and she had used this on EE. Since the UK network is the same as Virgin it worked fine with a Virgin sim only in the UK. I explained to Virgin Help that this might be the problem with my data access abroad but the Virgin technical help didn't seem to realise this might be relevant.  I am not expert but reading through the web discussions I thought it might be something to do with my Android APN settings.  My phone had one set up - no mention of Virgin.  It couldn't be edited - but it allowed new ones to be set and used instead.   On my last day in Ireland I tried various different ones for Virgin that others suggested which didn't do any good.  But using the ones from that Amazon web page, it worked!  The link is 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Data-connection-networks-3G-2G/forum/Fx1EOVQ7LRICT7F/Tx2VNJ7UU41GTKV/2?asin...

Full APN settings below.

PS My children have had problems in the past which were simply because Virgin had failed to set up data roaming at their end even though it said it was set up on the account online.  So worth checking that first.

Name : Virgin UK
APN : goto.virginmobile.uk
Proxy : < Not Set >
Port : < Not Set >
Username : user
Password : blank
Server : < Not Set >
MMSC : http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy : 193.030.166.002
MMS Port : 8080
MMC : 234
MNC : 30
Authentication Type : < Not Set >
APN Type : < Not Set >

Hope this helps someone with the same problem as me. It is incredibly frustrating.

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unable to use data roaming abroad despite it being set up. Virgin Help useless. Sorted out my...

Hi Roy_Cromb,

Thanks for dropping by and a warm welcome to the Community. I'm sorry to hear that you have had problems with roaming while abroad, but we really appreciate the information you have posted about how you resolved this issue. No doubt other Community users will find this information helpful.

APN settings can vary according to the handset used, so if anyone needs to find their settings, please see MichaelGr's post: HELP GUIDE - Mobile Data Roaming for Pay Monthly / SIMO Customers --the APN setting information is at the bottom of this post.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unable to use data roaming abroad despite it being set up. Virgin Help useless. Sorted out my...

Hi Roy_Cromb,

Thanks for dropping by and a warm welcome to the Community. I'm sorry to hear that you have had problems with roaming while abroad, but we really appreciate the information you have posted about how you resolved this issue. No doubt other Community users will find this information helpful.

APN settings can vary according to the handset used, so if anyone needs to find their settings, please see MichaelGr's post: HELP GUIDE - Mobile Data Roaming for Pay Monthly / SIMO Customers --the APN setting information is at the bottom of this post.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
DD_1980
Just joined
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've had the same problem and my APN is set to Virgin Media Mobile Internet.  

When I spoke to the contact centre last week, I was told I would have to phone 789 to have my data roaming settings reset every time I went abroad and wanted to use data, even though roaming is active on my account and the recorded message said I was set up to use my phone abroad. SO frustrating.

So the guy reset my data settings but, next time I went abroad, I found I couldn't even connect to the local network because call roaming (which the guy at the contact centre assured me was separate from data; hence why it didn't work) had been deactivated, so I couldn't even make or receive calls; let alone purchase a data pack or connect to the internet.  It was only because I was able to access my account over Wifi in my hotel that I even found out what the problem was!

Worse, the agent told me that it wouldn't be free for me to call 789 from the EU to get my data settings reset because it's only free for PAYG customers and I pay monthly; yet, when I looked in the app, it does give an alternative number to phone for pay monthly customers that is free (see attached screenshot)!  However, this isn't included in the welcome text you get when you arrive in an EU country, inviting you to buy a data pack - you're just told to call 789 - and you wouldn't be able to find that number unless you had access to the internet!

I asked on Facebook because there is no other way to access Virgin customer services on their website and they just said data roaming "isn't guaranteed to work" yet there is no mention of that on the website, nor when they send you a text inviting you to buy a data pack!

I've complained to OfCom because it feels like Virgin are deliberately inciting customers to buy a product that they know won't work (the agent at the contact centre said this is the case for all customers and the engineers have given no indication as to if it is a fault or if / when it will be fixed) and then needlessly charging people for calling 789 to get help by not offering the free alternative number.  They then deactivate your call roaming as well for good measure!  It's infuriating.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

app 

0 Kudos
DavG
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have done all of those things and still can't gat mobile data. I have an R above the network signal sign on my home screen

0 Kudos
Larrywen
Settling in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to use data roaming abroad despite it being set up. Virgin Help useless. Sorted out myself.

I have the same problem, but I feel to modify the setting of the APN given in there is too complex.

I use Huawei P10. I have solved the problem by the following steps:

1. Goto setting -> More

2. Select Mobile network

3. Select Access point names

4. Select the drop down menu at top right

5. Select Reset to default.

Then it solved the problem. 

Hope this information can help you.

0 Kudos
ericdvr
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to use data roaming abroad despite it being set up. Virgin Help useless. Sorted out myself.

Thanks Roy worked perfectly for me in Malta.
Virgin tech support were useless as usual when I contacted them.
0 Kudos