Menu
SCANIA
Joining in
Message 1 of 258
Flag for a moderator

Unable to receive incoming calls on Galaxy S5 with WiFi turned on is there a solution to this proble

I've just purchased a Galaxy S5 and now find out I cannot receive incoming calls if the WiFi is turned on - is there a solution to rectify this?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 258
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to receive incoming calls on Galaxy S5 with WiFi turned on is there a solution to this...

Hi SCANIA

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

This definitely shouldn't be happening! Give our techies a bell on 789 (0345 600 0789) and we'll take a closer look into this for you right away.

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
SCANIA
Joining in
Message 3 of 258
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to receive incoming calls on Galaxy S5 with WiFi turned on is there a solution to this...

Might have solved the problem - may not be ideal.

Tried the settings in Network Mode - the following didn't work LTA/WCDMA/GSM & WCDMA/GSM didn't work. The setting WCDMA-only setting worked only once.

Finally tried GSM-only this has worked every time at the moment.

Searching other sites about this problem also found that people who bought an unlocked I-Phone also experienced this problem. Could this also be the case with an unlocked Samsung S5

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 258
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scania,

Thanks for keeping us updated with this Smiley Happy

I don't believe this issue lies with an unlocked phone. Keep me in the loop on how it's looking and we can investigate this further if we need to.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
shbebs
Joining in
Message 5 of 258
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem, moved from s3 to s5. Kept original micro sim. Problem affects incoming calls and texts, all outgoing ok. I know a feature of the handset is Internet calling and wondered if that was causing a problem.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 258
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shebs,

Thanks for letting us know about this Smiley Happy

Have you tried the tips that Scania mentioned above?

Let us know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
stevec11
Tuning in
Message 7 of 258
Flag for a moderator

I have just also upgraded my contract from an S3 to an S5. Had the phone a day and noticed that reports on my texts were not arriving for about two hours after the person had actually got the text. On investigation I found out that sometimes I was not getting incoming calls and it was saying to the caller " unavailable ". I then spent many a hour contacting Virgin and going through various settings etc. It seems there is a problem with the S5 and also a Sony model, with regards to incoming calls and wi-fi. The person who sold me the contract 11 days ago made no mention to me about a problem with the Kit Kat on the S5, so I went ahead and signed up for another 2 years.

After finding this out today Virgin will NOT send me out another S5 as they say it will happen on that one, so they sold me a contract knowing that phone had a problem. They have extended my 14 day cancellation period for another 2 days to enable me to get another phone, but the S5 is the phone I wanted and after signing up have now sold my old S3 !! Where on earth do I go from here? From a legal point of view I think Virgin are legally wrong selling contracts knowing there are problems with a certain phone. There is not another phone I want so am stumped and apparently Samsung are also aware of the problem. I feel that I have been duped into signing another contract and that Virgin have used underhanded tactics to do this with many other customers. I feel like cancelling the contract but keeping the S5 and getting a sim deal and see what Virgin does about that !!!

0 Kudos
candy1567
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 258
Flag for a moderator

Hi there

If you read back through some the other threads, it is happening on the sony xperia M2, Z2 and some others as far as i know.  There is a couple of threads regarding this on here not just from me!!!!

I had the M2 and luckily for me i was within the14day period so took it back to shop and they swapped it for another phone.

I have raised the issue with virgin that they shoul'dt be selling/supplying these phone which are not working correctly but as advised by Mat the moderator on here, virgin will not recall these phones which i think i so wrong, why would people pay for a half working phone.

Juliex

0 Kudos
stevec11
Tuning in
Message 9 of 258
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying.

I contacted Samsung UK this morning and they are aware there is a problem. No time scale has been set for the fix so it could or could not happen. I asked them the question as to why they are selling phones to Virgin when they know there is a problem with the phone on the Virgin network. They had no reasonable answer as they know they should not be.

I am really miffed with Virgin because they knowingly are supplying the S5 to new unsuspecting customers, knowing there is a problem. From a legal point of view that is wrong and after speaking to Virgin Mobile yesterday, they said they would extend my 14 day cancellation period for another couple of days. That simply is not good enough !! I had an S3 on contract with Virgin for two years. They contacted me two weeks ago to tell me my contract was ending and did I fancy a nice shiny new phone. The I Phone 6 was a consideration but decided to go for the S5 so signed up for another two years. Now they are saying that I can cancel the contract or they will supply another phone. My S3 I sold when I got the S5 so cancelling will leave me with nothing. Another phone ? The only phone I would be interested in would be the new I Phone 6, but that is another £12 a month higher than the S5 contract and I am jot paying that amount. So my options are zero.

I am writing a complaint this morning to Virgin Mobile and Samsung UK. The fix may or may not happen but for me to keep this phone until hopefully a fix can be found, I at the very least want a reduction in my monthly contract price to accommodate the fact it does not work properly. Virgin are wrong at every level here as they are knowingly selling phones that they know are not fit for purpose. A £600 phone should be a fully operating phone. 

0 Kudos
stevec11
Tuning in
Message 10 of 258
Flag for a moderator

I also notice that not a single person from Virgin has replied to any of my messages !

0 Kudos