Menu
irvs
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

US Virgin Mobile account while in Europe

My family is traveling to the UK, France, and Italy at the end of this month and wondering the options are for using our US Virgin Mobile phones during the trip.  My wife has an iPhone 6s and I have Nokia Lumia 635 on Windows 8.1.    We are willing to buy a SIM or something to activate our phones there.  Can anyone direct us to any support options/resources?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: US Virgin Mobile account while in Europe

Before coming to Europe there are a couple of things your should check

1. That your phones are compatible with European Frequencies which are different to North America. Handy Guide

2. That your phones are unlocked to use a SIM from any network. (Check by putting another US provider's SIM in your phone.

Virgin UK and Virgin USA are two totally different companies. Given the list of countries you want to visit you might consider a SIM from Three UK. This will allow you to 'roam' between the UK, France and Italy without any problems through their 'AT Home' offer. Many Supermarkets sell them

Three UK

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi irvs,

provided that all your phones are unlocked and you wish to buy a UK pay as you go SIM for use whilst you are here.

I would consider using a Three Mobile 3-2-1 SIM (3p a minute, 2p a text, 1p a MB data).

Virgin Mobile pay as you go prices are considerably dearer outside of "rewards" (which take a month to kick in) 35p a minute, 12p a text, £1 >100MB data.

There are of course many other mobile networks to choose from and most popular SIM's are readily available from almost all supermarkets many shops where you can also purchase a top-up to activate.

Enjoy your vacation Smiley Happy

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Before coming to Europe there are a couple of things your should check

1. That your phones are compatible with European Frequencies which are different to North America. Handy Guide

2. That your phones are unlocked to use a SIM from any network. (Check by putting another US provider's SIM in your phone.

Virgin UK and Virgin USA are two totally different companies. Given the list of countries you want to visit you might consider a SIM from Three UK. This will allow you to 'roam' between the UK, France and Italy without any problems through their 'AT Home' offer. Many Supermarkets sell them

Three UK

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi irvs,

provided that all your phones are unlocked and you wish to buy a UK pay as you go SIM for use whilst you are here.

I would consider using a Three Mobile 3-2-1 SIM (3p a minute, 2p a text, 1p a MB data).

Virgin Mobile pay as you go prices are considerably dearer outside of "rewards" (which take a month to kick in) 35p a minute, 12p a text, £1 >100MB data.

There are of course many other mobile networks to choose from and most popular SIM's are readily available from almost all supermarkets many shops where you can also purchase a top-up to activate.

Enjoy your vacation Smiley Happy

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

irvs
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply. I think my biggest outstanding question is whether I can 'unlock' my Virgin Mobile phone for use on other networks. My hunch is that I cannot. I might explore getting an unlocked phone on eBay.
0 Kudos