Menu
emma_hodgson
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

URGENT - Help needed for lost iphone

Hi,

I have a great sim only deal with you guys and was sent an iphone 5s as a gift a few years ago that the sim went into. Now this weekend I have lost the phone (nightmare!). My insurance company have so far asked for my imei and my police reference number.

All fine as I have these. I also logged into my apple ID on my imac and it shows the phones imei, serial number and also has my address and phone number right next to it.

I'm praying this is enough for my insurance company to use as proof of ownership, but from what I have read they seem to like a letter from phone company providing imei on some form of bill.

Reading the forums I see virgin cannot do this as the phone was not bought from themselves and when I called to block my sim I was told they did not have the IMEI.

I'm just forward planning as I will be speaking to my insurers again tomorrow and somehow need a letter from yourselves saying you are unable to provide this information should that be the case.

Can anyone help me on this? Please?

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: URGENT - Help needed for lost iphone

Not sure of Virgin's policy, but I would suspect that the Insurance won't go that far.

Today, many more people use their own handsets on either PAYG or SIM only tariffs. and would be in the same position. I'm sure your insurers will have faced this scenario before.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I'm amazed the insurance companies still think that MVNOs such as Virgin have any access to the IMEI of a handset that they did not provide.

Is it even transmitted during a call?

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Gorf wrote:

I'm amazed the insurance companies still think that MVNOs such as Virgin have any access to the IMEI of a handset that they did not provide.

Is it even transmitted during a call?

Yes it is transmitted that is how stolen phones are blocked from the central register. Whether that number is stored anywhere by the network is hard to say. 

What is also transmitted is the  IMSI number, which is stored on a SIM card. This identifies the subscriber and it is logged and stored as per the 'snoopers charter'.

0 Kudos