Menu
HmmmUK
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Turning off MMS to avoid charges/costs

Hi All - Happy New Year!

I received a few MMS pictures from a relative over Christmas - very rare, I haven't seen an MMS for years as most people will use email etc.!

Why playing around viewing/saving etc. I managed to resend the MMS photo back to the sender! #doh #hic

40p I won't see again...

Is there any way to turn off SENDING MMS so I don't get caught out like this?
I'm using a Nexus 5 with Googe's Hangouts. I can't see an option there.

Perhaps I can turn this off in my Virgin account (can't find an option though) or by changing the 'mobile' (APN?) settings?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Turning off MMS to avoid charges/costs

The easiest way as far as I can tell is to turn off mobile data.

You'll get a popup message telling you that your (unintended) MMS will be sent when mobile data is back on. This means you've time to send your message as SMS and delete the MMS from the outbox before it's sent.

As an added bonus, you'll notice a significant improvement in battery life with mobile data off.

0 Kudos
HmmmUK
Dialled in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gorf, but I was hoping there would be a more direct option to take to disable (just) MMS so I don't get caught out.

I'll certainly be more careful in future if I should get any more MMS images.
Searching around I see some people have been caught out using some emojis which can convert SMS to MMS!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

HmmmUK wrote:

I'll certainly be more careful in future if I should get any more MMS images.

That's not the only source of MMS messages - in fact it's probably the least likely to result in an unexpected charge.

You're far more likely to generate an MMS by typing a message that's too long, being sent to too many recipients, using a file (e.g. a contact card) or by picking a contact's email address entry rather than their mobile number.

0 Kudos