Menu
Carmy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Turning Data Off

Think I have managed to set data limit function on my mobile so it can't use any more. Will this stay permanently set on my phone now or will it change. Also I have set my apps to restricted as I don't want them on using data. Will this turn them off as I don't want to be charged. Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Turning Data Off

I'm not sure, what model of phone do you have, most don't have the ability to limit data, just switch on/off, the operating system is tweaked by most suppliers and it's against their interests to limit potential income from exceeding allowances 

David1955
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi

you could set your phone so apps only update when connected to wifi, so this wont eat into you allowance, check online for your phone make and model as all are different on how to do this, regards "Roaming" if you remain in England switch roaming off, you dont need it.

It is supposed to be free while abroad from Jun 2017 but if the French and Germans get their way 'it wont' and the phone companies wont want this to happen either as this is big profit for them, same as barring calls from known numbers to you who charge you for the call.

We could all be protected from these from viruses, spam, malware by the phone and internet companies, but too much money is being made by them not doing so.

Regards setting your warnings on your phone, this is not reliable as your phone for data is recorded differently to what your phone company records, but if this is your only option then set warning around 50% and turn off or stop at 75% and try to keep your wifi on most of the time, its better to have to cahrge your phone more often than paying for data.

Regards making more room on your phone: You could reset the apps you dont use to original installation (which deletes the updates for that app) some apps can be deleted from phone altogether but this depends on the phone, also apps you have downloaded can be moved to you card storage which also give more room on your phone (local)

All Replies
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm not sure, what model of phone do you have, most don't have the ability to limit data, just switch on/off, the operating system is tweaked by most suppliers and it's against their interests to limit potential income from exceeding allowances 

Carmy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have the IMO s it is a new model to Virgin. I had to set it to a figure. I checked on my account what I had used and set the number to just below and it looks like it worked. Bit complicated. Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've looked on the manufactures website and the on line manual give no details on that or any apps, you'll need to test it out. I'd recommend that at the start of your next monthly allowance you set it to stop about halfway, then it it stops date great, if not you've still got data to go and have not yet been charged
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Not sure how tweaked the Android version is on these phones.

I have 2gb of data allowance, on my Android phone it allows me to set two settings with the data:
1st setting is a warning, and I set that at 1.9gb
2nd is a turn off data setting, and I have that set at 2gb.

Or you could just turn off mobile data and only switch it back on when needed.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
David1955
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi

you could set your phone so apps only update when connected to wifi, so this wont eat into you allowance, check online for your phone make and model as all are different on how to do this, regards "Roaming" if you remain in England switch roaming off, you dont need it.

It is supposed to be free while abroad from Jun 2017 but if the French and Germans get their way 'it wont' and the phone companies wont want this to happen either as this is big profit for them, same as barring calls from known numbers to you who charge you for the call.

We could all be protected from these from viruses, spam, malware by the phone and internet companies, but too much money is being made by them not doing so.

Regards setting your warnings on your phone, this is not reliable as your phone for data is recorded differently to what your phone company records, but if this is your only option then set warning around 50% and turn off or stop at 75% and try to keep your wifi on most of the time, its better to have to cahrge your phone more often than paying for data.

Regards making more room on your phone: You could reset the apps you dont use to original installation (which deletes the updates for that app) some apps can be deleted from phone altogether but this depends on the phone, also apps you have downloaded can be moved to you card storage which also give more room on your phone (local)

Carmy
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your replies. I rang Virgin and let them turn data off totally. Although I thought I had turned it off and the message read mobile data limit reached, Something must still have been running. I only use phone and txts and photos so this will be fine for me. Not sure why it was still using data though

0 Kudos
Carmy
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for info. I am new to this stuff.
0 Kudos
Carmy
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for useful info
0 Kudos