Menu
AllyMac
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Trying to use UK mobile in Greece - can't connect to any Greek carrier?

Switched to Virgin Media from O2 in January - no problems in previous years picking up a Greek carrier as soon as we arrive. This time - nothing! Can access wifi but no calls or texting - how do I resolve this? I don't want to call a helpline in UK using someone else's phone (& I know they won't answer quickly) and when I try to access Virgin Remote Assistance live chat it doesn't load….? Any help greatly appreciated - I'm not a techie at all, a 65 year old retiree trying to stay in touch with family…Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Andydd68
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Trying to use UK mobile in Greece - can't connect to any Greek carrier?

Hi. Can you let me know how you get on and on you get this resolved ? I'm having similar issues and I notice there are quite a few similar threads. They all boil down to the answer is to phone Virgin, but for many of us this simply isn't possible, Thanks Andy
0 Kudos
maths15
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have they turned  off some of the masts? Apparently Greece are having some financial difficulties!

0 Kudos
Nebula
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm on Virgin Media and immediately picked up carrier GR Cosmote on arrival at hotel in Greece. I'm not a techie either, but suggest switching phone off and then on again to try to resolve this and, if that doesn't work, wait for a reply from a more knowledgeable user. Good luck. 

0 Kudos
Andydd68
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Did you switch on the roaming via the online settings before you went ? I'm desperate to get mine working in France and have tried everything but without success.
0 Kudos
AllyMac
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ha ha! No, everyone else can pick up signals here. Have also tried switching on/off several times with no luck and when I tried today to use their live chat for com
0 Kudos
AllyMac
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry - posted before finished....'We're here to help Mon to Fri 8am-8pm' - guess what? 'All our operators are busy - try later' tried about 25 times throughout the day with no luck....Thinking about returning to O2....
0 Kudos
Andydd68
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I had that too, tried hundreds of times always no agents available

See my post here

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Mobile/Roaming-problem-RESOLVED/td-p/2869438
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi AllyMac,

Welcome to the communitySmiley Happy

Sorry to hear you having difficulties roaming in Greece. Totally appreciate this is frustrating for you.

I can see the community has been helping you out which is great. I'd like to help you get your phone connected so I've provided a link here to a post which will give you some things you can try online and with the handset.

Let me know if this helps and if not don't hesitate to get back to me.

Take care

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos