Menu
jucaro
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Trouble connecting to Wifi Buddy

I have recently downloaded the wifi buddy app. But not sure if ive set up properly. I didnt have to do anything, just pressed install and it seemed to do it automatically, I didnt have to register a password or anything, How does it connect to hotspots, I was in a local supermarket where there is a hotspot, but it didnt do anything, Im not sure if im installed properly or not, please help!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Trouble connecting to Wifi Buddy

Hi jucaro,

Thanks for posting. I'm very sorry to hear your new Wi-Fi Buddy app isn't connecting to a network.

As per the information here, you don't need to sign in with any details. It should automatically connect.

What handset do you have?

Did you have Wi-Fi turned on?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
jucaro
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have iPhone 5 and yes wifi is switched on. Should wifi hotspots just connect automatically or do I have to do that manually? even in a Tesco store, I thought I would be able to connect, but nothing happens 😒
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi jucaro,

Thanks for getting back to me. It should connect automatically.

These are genuine hotspots as per the map?

Have you tried connecting manually? (Settings > Wi-Fi)

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
jucaro
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, when it connects automatically, would I get notification that it's connected to a hotspot ? When I installed wifi buddy and profile, it said it was installed, so I think I've done it properly, I've checked and double checked, I can't understand why it's not connecting. I'll keep at it til I get it right, I won't be beaten !
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi jucaro,

You won't get a notification as it'll just connect.

Have you enabled your hotspots?

Are you sure you're around a Virgin Media hotspot?

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
jucaro
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, how do you enable hotspots?. There are 53 hotspots in a 12 mile radius where I live. The closest is Tesco which is about 3 miles away, which I know is a hotspot. Maybe it's enabling I'm not doing. Thanks for your help by the way, it's much appreciated.
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi jucaro

The WiFi Buddy app uses the "The Cloud" free WiFi hotspots.

Tesco supply free WiFi, but they teamed up with BT free WiFi - that will be the reason why WiFi Buddy does not connect.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Select the menus bar on the left hand side and you'll see 'Enable hotspots'. You've probably done this when you first started up the app.

When you search for hotspots on the map you need to be under the red 'umbrella' as it were in order for it to work. Otherwise the Wi-Fi signal will not be strong enough for example.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you open WiFi Buddy, press on the 3 lines (top left), press "hotspot map", this will load a map and the red dots are the places you can connect to, zoom in and press on a red dot to see the name of place with free WiFi.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.