Menu
Jumping_Jackson
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Travelling Abroad

Hello - can anyone help - I am currently on holiday in Gran Canaria (I live in UK). I have iPhone 6Plus and pay monthly Virgin Media contract. I cannot make phone calls but can receive them. I cannot connect to my voicemail. I can sometimes receive and send text messages but I cannot do anything "data" related i.e. I connect to the internet, send/receive emails or use any apps.

I have turned the cellular Roaming ON, on the Virgin webpage as instructed for travelling abroad, and also on my phone. I have also purchased via text message a TRAVEL PASS (250Mb for £5) and turned on my Data Roaming. When I go to "Carrier" in "Settings" I do not get any options to connect to when set to "Automatic". If I switch "Automatic" OFF I get a choice of these three carriers: Orange SP, Vodaphone ES, Movistar. I tried them all and the only one that gives me some usability is Orange SP. With Orange I can receive calls, sometimes send/receive text messages but I cannot make any calls to anyone here in Gran Canaria or in the UK or call my voicemail service. When I try to call anyone anywhere I get the same recorded message from Orange telling me I cannot make these types of calls. I cannot connect to any data services at all i.e. emails, internet or apps. I have wifi where I am staying which is allowing me to type this message now. 

Can anyone offer any advice or help as I really need to be able to make calls and check emails whilst I am out and about. I have tried to find an email address to contact Virgin Mobile for advise but there doesn't seem to be one. I posted a public tweet to @virginmedia on Twitter and am also posting here in the hope that someone can help. If customer services at Virgin see this message please don't ask me to call you as I cannot make any calls including to Virgin customer services. If you have a LIVE CHAT or email address we could I answer more detailed questions and we could be in touch.

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Travelling Abroad

Hi Jumping_Jackson,

unfortunately there is no email address for Virgin Mobile.

try logging into your account  then click on  the "Plan and device" tab.

Go to "Manage my services". You have said that "Roaming" is set to ON.

Check that "International call barring" is set to OFF (this may be your problem).

If so allow time for your account to update then reboot your phone by turning it off & on again.

Although there is no email you may be able to contact Virgin here: Help and Support - Contact Us > Mobile > Mobile not working > Chat online.

The advisors are often busy though so you may not get connected straight away.

Alternatively, if needed and you can borrow a phone to call Virgin Mobile. Their UK support line number is: +447953 967 967

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Jumping_Jackson,

unfortunately there is no email address for Virgin Mobile.

try logging into your account  then click on  the "Plan and device" tab.

Go to "Manage my services". You have said that "Roaming" is set to ON.

Check that "International call barring" is set to OFF (this may be your problem).

If so allow time for your account to update then reboot your phone by turning it off & on again.

Although there is no email you may be able to contact Virgin here: Help and Support - Contact Us > Mobile > Mobile not working > Chat online.

The advisors are often busy though so you may not get connected straight away.

Alternatively, if needed and you can borrow a phone to call Virgin Mobile. Their UK support line number is: +447953 967 967

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Jumping_Jackson
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much Alexkid - that has now resolved my call/voicemail issues. Unfortunately I still don't hav data capability even tho I bought a Travel Pass but I will call Virgin now I hav calls.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos