Menu
LesleyC
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Travel Pass purchase via text doesn't work

Every time I try to purchase a Travel Pass by texting 23456 according to the instructions, I receive a text saying "Whoops! Looks like we couldn't process that. To get some help just call....". So I call, wait for a while to speak to someone and eventually get my Travel Pass.

But it would be a lot easier if the advertised text service worked. I know other people have the same problem too. Is this a known fault? It's been going on for several years.

0 Kudos
Braincapers
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Travel Pass purchase via text doesn't work

I had the same problem and had to phone up to buy it. Not that I've been able to use it.

0 Kudos
LesleyC
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Braincapers, when I've managed to buy one before (by phoning up), they've worked OK. It's just buying them that's the painful bit Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi LesleyC,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm very sorry to hear you're having trouble purchasing a travel pass by text. I agree this should be working for you as it's designed to make it easier for you to buy.

When was the last time you tried to buy an EU data pass?

You've definitely followed the instructions here?

If I'm honest this is the first time I've heard of this service not working so it'd be good to know how widespread it is.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
FoxtrotOscar
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I also got the childish 'Whoops!' text message when trying to buy a travel pass by text. Turns out you have to be in the foreign country before you use a text to buy a travel pass.

Granted the article linked to above by Rich_B lists travel passes in the 'when you arrive' section, but surely a) you should be able to use the facility from the UK and b) the article could make it more explicit that it needs to be done from the roaming network.

Masgter1
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I bought this same travel pass in Portugal only about over a month ago, and it worked perfectly. Now in France, the text doesn;t work and when I try to call the number, it constantly says 'the system is busy please try again later'. I would really like to be able to use my internet so please can someone get back to me! Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
LesleyC
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your response. The last time I tried to buy an EU data pass was about a week ago. I sent the text, received the 'whoops' message and then have called the number in that message many times, each time getting a message saying I'm being transferred followed by a message saying the service isn't available and then being disconnected.

Is it true, as FoxtrotOscar says below, that the text message needs to be sent from outside the UK? If so, why is this not clearer in the instructions? And why has no-one from Virgin mentioned this when I've eventually managed to get through to a human being who is able to set up the Travel Pass?

I have had this problem every time I've needed to buy a Travel Pass. This is over a number of years. My boyfriend and clearly other forum members have also had the same problem. Several Virgin employees have told me that this is a known problem.

Thanks,

LesleyC

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi LesleyC,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've been told you should be able to purchase a pass before travelling hence why it doesn't specifically say otherwise on the website.

I've had some people say it doesn't work and I've others saying it does work. So would be good to know if there are any kind of patterns.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
McKendrigo
Just joined
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

For what it's worth, I am having the same problems. I'm in the UK (wanting to sort out buying a pass before travelling), following the instructions on the Virgin Mobile site and all I get is the "Whoops!" message.

So, 6 months or so on and this problem doesn't seem to have been fixed? Considering that people may rely on mobile data abroad for e.g. navigation and accessing e-mails when travelling, this is pretty shoddy from Virgin.

It's disappointing that there's not another way to buy the pass, apart from calling up Customer Services and trying to get them to fix the problem. Why can't we log into our account on the website and buy a pass there, the same way you can buy other add-ons etc.?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mckendrigo,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with purchasing the travel pass. I will definitely feed this back for you regarding the online pass purchase.

In the meantime, the team on the phone can add the pass manually for you. Give them a call on 789 or 0345 6000 789. Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos