Menu
elleonearth
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Travel Pass Fail, Italy

Apologies - this is long...  I have had nothing but problems with getting mobile data and phone abroad for my Virgin UK number.  Finally, after days, my phone call and text options are working.  However, I bought a Travel Pass for £20 but cannot get mobile data getting the message "Could not activate mobile data.  Turn on mobile data or..."  The news from Rome is not good.

So I check and check again that all my data roaming buttons are on for phone and account.  Yes they are, as far as I can see.  But nothing.  Zilch.  Not an inkling of mobile data to be had.  I checked my account to make sure everything was paid for yes there was the payment for the travel pass.  

However, I go in again today to check usage.  It seems that although I cannot get any mobile data access, the iPhone has been using data all by itself - presumably from my normal allowance of 250mb as there isn't an allowance showing for the EU Travel Pass.  But there, in the usage it shows Travel Pass use.  What?  How?  Major confusion and frustration!  How is my allowance being used when I cannot connect?  I realise that it maybe background use by the iPhone (on what I don't understand) but how can it connect when I can't?

1.  Is my phone using chunks of my ordinary data allowance and running it down?  I cannot connect to internet (other than wifi) here in Italy

2.  How is my phone using Travel Pass data when I cannot connect?  

19 Nov 08:55EU data Travel Pass usage Yes4KB£0.00
19 Nov 08:55EU data Travel Pass usage Yes249KB£0.00
16 Nov 12:18EU data Travel Pass usage Yes254KB£0.00
16 Nov 11:18EU data Travel Pass usage Yes1.01MB£0.00
14 Nov 16:39EU data Travel Pass usage Yes1KB£0.00

3.  What can I do about the message "Could not activate mobile data.  Turn on mobile data or..."  All my buttons are on.

4.  a.  What is my phone doing when it is connecting to the internet?  

b.  And how is it connecting....?  Please, I need to know....

5.  Why is my account not showing my data for the Travel Pass in my tariff?

Thank you,  

Lynne

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Travel Pass Fail, Italy

Hi Lynne,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy 

Sorry to hear you're having trouble using mobile data while in Italy.

I'll be happy to clear up your queries surrounding this. While in the EU, the phone can't use any ordinary data as it requires an EU data pass to work.

From the data you posted, it suggests that your phone is indeed using data from the data pass. In the Mobile data settings in the iPhone, there's an EU internet option. Is this enabled?

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
elleonearth
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Oh hello Mat - thank you so much for replying and trying to help.  I'm a bit frustrated!  But still smiling :-) 

Yes, the mobile data, data roaming and EU internet are all 'on' and showing green.  But if I try to open safari for instance, the message is "Could not activate mobile data network.  Turn on mobile data or activate Wi-fi to access data"  (Wifi works fine)

I'm really a bit peeved that I'm paying for data which the phone is using but I can't access.  And I'll have wasted a whole month of payment.  Have tried to chat online with help, but there's never been anyone available when I've been able to get wifi!  Sod's Law huh?!  Thanks though for clarifying the UK/EU data point.  

Thanks again,

Lynne

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for coming back to me Smiley Happy

Really sorry to hear that you're still having issues accessing the web while roaming.

The problem must be linked to either the phone or the network you're roaming on. As the phone is using data, it'll confirm that the service is set up correctly on our side.

Are you able to press the home button and lock button to hard reboot the phone? This will refresh the phones network connection. Give it a go and let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
elleonearth
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hey Mat,

I've pressed home and lock to hard reboot as suggested, but still no joy.  

The mobile phone network the phone has connected to (which I assume Virgin is paired with) here in Italy is TIM which is one of the biggest networks over here.  And I'm using an iPhone 5s so not sure why that should be a problem.  I can make calls and send texts, just no flippin' data and a waste of a Travel Pass.  Wish someone had told me.  

How can my phone be using data when I can't?  Please can you explain?  I just don't understand.  

What's next?  

Thanks, Lynne

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for coming back to me Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear that it's still not working for you. It's possible that the network you're roaming on may not be giving you access to the network correctly. Are you able to go into settings > Carrier and disable automatic network. Try and connect to the other available networks to see if this gives the same error message.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
elleonearth
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Buongiorno Mat!

Firstly is my Data Pass still valid - we've now moved into December, bought it early in November - is it 4 weeks or calendar month?

Ok - I've disabled automatic selection and have tried the other networks

I Wind - "Could not activate mobile data network.  Turn on mobile data or use wi-fi to access data"

I Tim - "Could not activate mobile data network.  Turn on mobile data or use wi-fi to access data"

3 Ita - "A data connection is not currently allowed" "In order to use....under 3ITA ....be sure that your default user access point is correctly configured on your phone settings.  For further info please contact your domestic mobile provider

Vodafone IT - no service at all

Between each one I powered off and restarted.  

So.  No joy. And I so wanted joy.  

Lynne

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Lynne Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that this still hasn't worked. It sounds like there's an error in communication between the network and the phone.

I would advise if possible, to give us a call on +447953967967. The team on the phone can ensure that all is working correctly on our side.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
elleonearth
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ciao and grazie, Mat.  

Is calling going to cost me money?  If so then it is defeating the object really and my travel pass has probably now run out - I only bought a month pass.  I'm not going to purchase another unless it can be guaranteed it will work as I'm not throwing good money after bad.  I'm so unimpressed.  

If I call from the UK when home for the Festivities, can they check it then?  I'll also have more time.  Or does it have to be from Italy for them to check?  

And whilst I've got you, is there a better tariff for me being abroad than the £5 tariff with 5p per roaming text I'm on?  I've spent £6 odd in texts above my tariff...  I can't seem to find alternative options for any tariff in my personal area which is a bit odd.  

Lynne

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me Lynne Smiley Happy

Calling us will charge you at the same rate as calling a UK number.

If you give us a call, we can make sure that this is all sorted for you as soon as possible. Let me know if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos