Menu
chaletamale
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This company is a joke: Look at these internet speeds

So my horror story starts several years ago. I went to best buy and purchased the Optimus V phone with virgin mobile service. 100 dollars for the phone and the service said UNLIMITED INTERNET. I soon found out this was a bold faced lie. False advertising at its finest. The service secretly only offered 2.5 gigs of 3g internet (which was slow as crap already) and then throttled me after the 2.5 cap was hit. As if the service wasnt bad already, the phone itself has a garbage wireless adapter built in that makes it unable to connect to high speed wifis, and caps all wifi speeds to 10% or less of their actual speeds.  It also makes the actual data from 3g MUCH MUCH slower than it actually is. Know how i know this? Because i set the phone up as a hotspot and everyone connecting to it had speeds 3x faster than me....**bleep**? how does that even make sense? Since this isnt an LG phone page, ill cease my rant about the garbage phone

Anyways, this year they began power throttling the living crap out of me. Over the past couple of months, even paying my bill isnt helping. I used to be able to play games over the connection and stream anime videos on animefreak.net, but now even after paying my bill, the connection is too slow to play anything. My pings are through the ROOF!!! The game i played with no problem has a steady ping of 700 to as high as 8000 now!!!!!! thats absolutely absurd. Even 56k never reached pings that bad. Virgin is lying about their throttling. They are viciously going after heavy data users while still milking them for money with false promises. 

I dont understand the point of lying to people about a plan having UNLIMITED internet access when youre just going to cheap out and give them service worse than a dialup connection when they actively try to use it as internet. These guys are making hand over fist revenues off us and getting away with things that should be considered criminal offenses

btw heres the lovely speed im getting right now:

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: This company is a joke: Look at these internet speeds

The date you pay your bill isn't relevant. The throttling due to exceeding "fair use" works on calendar month and is reset on the first of each month. You can see which unlimited limit (!) applies to you on the terms and conditions page.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

best buy? $? this is virgin UK forum and has nothing to do with the US Services.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

apcyberax wrote:
best buy? $?

Good spot! I missed that.

0 Kudos
chaletamale
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

actually this is a .com site, not .uk, so its an international/US site for everyone. and it doesnt change the fact that this company is **bleep**ting on its customers lol. i barely use up like 10 gigs of data a month if that, and they got me on this hyper throttle like im stealing 100 gigs worth. i dont even download anything. what a joke

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @chaletamale

I'm sorry to read that you're not happy with the service you're currently receiving.

This website is to help and support Virgin Media customers in the UK.

It sounds like you are a customer of another member of the Virgin family - Virgin Mobile USA.

I'd suggest getting in touch with them directly at https://www.virginmobileusa.com/ for any queries about your mobile usage.

Best wishes,

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

chaletamale wrote:

actually this is a .com site, not .uk, so its an international/US site for everyone. and it doesnt change the fact that this company is **bleep**ting on its customers lol. i barely use up like 10 gigs of data a month if that, and they got me on this hyper throttle like im stealing 100 gigs worth. i dont even download anything. what a joke

Yeah, OK - keep ranting on here. The people who can actually do something about your problem will never see your message, because you're on the wrong site. You might think ".com" makes it US or international, but you're wrong. The top level domain does not enforce any boundaries at all.

The best I can come up with is the Virgin Mobile USA facebook community. It's only the result of the briefest of searches, but that's still more than you bothered with.

0 Kudos