Menu
LMB
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thinking of adding a sim only deal...

...But first I have to make sure that I can actually use the service.

Part of the reason that I've requested a PAC code from my current provider is that despite the signal being listed online as "very good" I just cannot get a signal at home. I requested a PAC code from them today, but just noticed as I was reading through my options that the Virgin website says that they use the EE network, which is my current provider. Technically Orange, but same thing. So I gave the help line a call to see if they knew if it only uses the EE network or if it was just added to improve existing coverage.

I explained that I didn't want to add it today as I still have a month until my contract expires and I'd like to reduce overlap in bills. The agent continued trying to go through plan options and trying to set things up despite knowing this and also being told that I knew the plan options. The call was literally just for information. He made it quite obvious that he was working on commission and came across as a bit desperate, honestly. But my real issue there is that he didn't listen. Sales people do need to be able to navigate objections etc., I understand that. But he was overly pushy and I actually just hung up in the end, which I never do.

Somewhere in the middle of this, said agent told me twice that Virgin does not use EE, that they stopped using that network six months ago and the website is "out of date". I'd explained my issues with EE and I highly suspect based on the rest of the call that he was lying to me in order to get me to sign up. So I had a very frustrating phone call that got me nowhere, and now I'm rethinking the whole thing.

If I'm able to use it and there are no issues with support, the existing customer discount would make the deal worth having. Orange retention can't even match it, not that I wanted to stay with them anyway. But I still have no idea if I'll be able to get a decent signal at home, and the agent I spoke to was very off-putting. Now if I have an issue later, I feel like I'll be going around in circles trying to resolve it. Either the website is out of date, meaning I don't know if I can trust the rest of the contents, or else this agent lied to me twice in order to make a sale that I already told him more than once he wouldn't be getting today, in which case I can't trust the agents. I have no idea if the call centre is in the UK, so I don't know if there was some kind of language barrier or not, but though both people I spoke to sounded Indian, both seemed fluent.

Anyway, is anybody here able to confirm the network(s) currently in use, please? How often is the website actually updated? And why aren't we able to email for support? The phone line was no good and I work through most of the live chat's opening hours.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Thinking of adding a sim only deal...

Think your going to do right thing, I can't see the signal being any different to your signal now, also being misled/lied to by a agent is not a good start. Grab some other PAYG sims and start testing the signals :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.

All Replies
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Virgin runs on the EE network, seeing you've got a bit of time till your change - how about grabbing a Virgin PAYG sim and testing signal before jumping in.
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
Yorkieboy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Live chat does not work for mobile, I was told I had to ring 789 which was difficult as had no signal
LMB
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Did consider that, and also trying out the rolling contract just for a single month before moving on. If it's only on EE though, I can't imagine it'll be much different to my current signal. Also not too impressed at that dishonest agent telling me twice that EE is no longer used. I think I'll be looking elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies, though.

teabag
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Think your going to do right thing, I can't see the signal being any different to your signal now, also being misled/lied to by a agent is not a good start. Grab some other PAYG sims and start testing the signals :-)

LMB
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good idea, I think I'll try that. Incidentally if anybody gets put through to an agent named JV, I suggest you ignore everything he says and put the phone down.

0 Kudos