Menu
Ewan1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Texts taking hours to return

Since I've been with Virgin Mobile I've been experiencing issues with receiving Text Messages. Text messages can take from Instantly to Hours for me to receive them. Today was a Record, 2 hours 18 minutes, all 3 texts my better half sent me arrived at 15.40 after all being sent at 1 minute intervals from 13.22. This is happening from all providers.

Anyone any ideas?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Texts taking hours to return

HI Ewan1,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having some issues with receiving texts. I want to get this all sorted for you. Are all these regular texts or iMessages? Does this happen in more than one location?

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

Ewan1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat H, thanks for replying.

Its just regular text messages. TBH Iv'e never noticed if its happening anywhere in particular, certainly more noticeable when im at home. Yesterday(again when at home) 40 minutes for a text to come through from the wife. I try some texts tomorrow at work and see if they take as long. 

Ewan. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us Ewan.

What Mat is trying to get at here is that if it's happening at one location (at home) then we can possibly point towards it being signal intereference. If it's happening at all locations then it could be a SIM card or handset issue.

How are things looking at work?
Which provider were you with before us?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
Ewan1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes it does seem to be happening only at my home address. Looking at my phone at the moment it is showing 2 bars of signal. I have no issues receiving telephone calls. I used to be with 3 before and even with just 1 bar of signal I received text instantly. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ewan1,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I'm leaning towards signal interference in that case which is a shame because there's nothing we can do about it I'm afraid. If everything seems fine outside of the property then it would prove it's working.

Do you know anyone with a Virgin or EE phone? I'm thinking they can visit your property to further back up my theory. Get them to send test text messages as we use EE's network.

It may also be worth trying to get a replacement SIM card to eliminate this. You can call the team on 789 from a Virgin Mobile, 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone. Alternatively, you can speak to our web chat team.

Keep me update along the way.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
Ewan1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I will try the things you've advised. 

Ewan.

0 Kudos
suburbansteve
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have exactly the same problem I live in a area with poor reception (1 or 2 bars inside house.) and texts can take ages coming and going but if I go outside they are instant, well almost Smiley Happy so it's in my house where the problem lies not with my phone so I just have to find what's causing it. Best of luck and please post if you fix the problem.

Long Days & Pleasant Nights
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'll put it down to signal. 

When a text is sent and not received the sending network will try to redeliver. The time between redelivery attempts lengthens with each failure.

For that text to be received the phone has to have the right signal at the time the redelivery attempt takes place. This is why a number of texts can be received together, them having been queued waiting for the right conditions.

Sometimes you also get the anomaly of getting a later text first because the retry time has been shorter. For example: I have two messages waiting, one queued at 10 min interval and the other at 30 min. I step outside for 5 min just in time to get the one queued at 10 min so that arrives. Depending on the system that could trigger a sending attempt of the 30 min or not. However, whatever happens the message sent later arrives first!

Hope this makes sense.