Menu
Seren11
Tuning in
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Texts not received

I've been a Virgin Mobile PAYG customer for many years & have never had a problem with texts I've sent not being received before.

Tuesday 25th November I sent a text to a family member which was shown as sent on my delivery report, but not delivered. The recipient never had it. I was very disappointed as this was quite an important text to say I'd arrived safely after a journey. The recipient didn't have their mobile switched on at the exact time I sent the message, but put it on soon after & regularly. Also, I have a smartphone & the recipient doesn't (don't know if this is relevant).

I'd sent another text the day before, 24th November, which also wasn't received by a different recipient. They also don't have a smartphone. Again this was showing on my phone as sent, but pending.

Other texts I've sent to different people have gone through alright. I tried texting the family member who didn't receive my message today when we were in the same room & the message went throught straight away. Still, I'm disappointed that they didn't receive my message last week. Any help/advice as to why some of messages haven't been delivered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: Texts not received

Hi Seren11

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your text messages not being received - let's get you some help with this Smiley Happy

When you send a text message, the 'sent' indication you get advises you that the text has been successfully sent to the message centre for delivery to the recipient - it's not a delivery confirmation.

Once the text has been sent to our message centre, it will attempt to deliver the message to the recipient straight away. If the phone is off or out of service, the message centre will hang on to the message and try again later (the frequency of retries reduces over time). The maximum time the message centre will hold on to a message is 72 hours. After this period of time, the message will be deleted and not delivered.

Depending on how long the phone is off or out of service for this can explain why the text takes some time to come through to them, or in some cases, may not be delivered at all.

With this in mind, we wouldn't recommend using SMS texts for essential or urgent messages - particularly if the recipient's handset is often turned off or out of signal range.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Many  thanks 

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Seren11
Tuning in
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I'm really disappointed because the recipient's phone was switched on (I sent the message to the family member at 4.20pm & they put their phone on by 5pm) & had a good signal, so my message should have come through.

I've never had this problem with Virgin Mobile before, & it's a bit worrying really. I hope my messages are received in the future.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Seren11,

Thatnks for coming back to us Smiley Happy

I understand your frustration with this. It does seem like the message sent sucessfully from our side.

Keep an eye on it all and let us know if this happens again.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Seren11
Tuning in
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

I just wanted to let you know that this has happened again. This time I have not received a text sent to me from a Virgin Mobile number on the evening of Sunday 8th February. My phone was switched on. I've spoken to an advisor from 789 about this, who told me to switch my phone off for an hour & then back on. I've done so & the text still hasn't come through.

I thought I should let you know about this & am very concerned that it has happened again, with me not receiving a text message this time. When I contacted you in December last year about texts I had sent that hadn't been received they were both sent to Virgin Mobile numbers. Why is this happening? Is there a signal issue?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Seren11,

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with text messages again. An SMS message will only lie dormant for 72 hours. If this hasn't come through now, I'm afraid it wont come through at all.

I can certainly check to see if there are any signal issues in your area. Are you able to PM me your full postcode for this?

Let me know once you've sent this over.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Seren11
Tuning in
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat,

I've just PM'd you with my full postcode & further details.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Seren11

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi seren11,

I've just replied to your PM Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for your PM Smiley Happy

Trying a different sim would be completely up to you. I wouldn't be able to see other companies coverage for that area I'm afraid.

EE may disable masts if they feel they're no longer needed in the near future. The masts are left running at a low level to ensure they can be re-enabled if needed.

I can assure you that it's of our utmost concern to help our customers. It's unfortunate that in this scenario, it's out of our hands.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I stumbled across this post and I have had several issue in the past few months.

I had issues with people never receiving my text (it was my Mum and I went through the history of our chat so it's not like she would lie) and then me not receiving texts people show they sent me.
Just this weekend someone sent me a text at 10:45am on Saturday and I did not receive it until about 4pm on Sunday even though my phone was on constantly during that time.
I know the reception at my house is not the best but I was actually driving around for miles most of Saturday so does not make sense.
0 Kudos