Menu
fatclown
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Texts as mms

Hi 

I have recently moved from Vodafone and a windows phone to Virgin with a Sony z3 running Android and have noticed that I am being charged for texts over 160 characters as they are being sent as a picture message, not sms. I am assuming it is the character count, although I do send a lot of group texts as I am a scout leader and do not want to send separate texts to every parent. Firstly, is this a Virgin or Android issue as I never had the issue with Vodafone, and if so does anybody know how to get around it. I did try Virgin, they cancelled the costs in the first month but couldn't recommend any solutions. 

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Texts as mms

Hi fatclown,

this is an issue with the phone settings rather than Virgin Mobile.

There are a number of instances where this can happen.
Click here: How to stop text messages being sent as MMS (actually an O2 support page).

You may be able to alter the settings on your handset to prevent or at least limit this from happening.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Texts as mms

One solution is to replace the stock messaging app with something like BigSMS, which does not convert SMS with multiple texts and/or multiple recipients to MMS.

As far as I can tell, all UK providers charge for MMS, simply because they can. Apparently, MMS is a far better protocol for handling big circulation lists or long messages. As MMS is included in the allowances in other countries, the phone manufacturers auto-switch just to help the carriers.

0 Kudos