Menu
Nanmca
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Texting

Why am I sometimes charged For a MMS when adding emoticons to SMS. It doesn't happen with all texts. I've taken this up with Virgin and they say it's just the way it is.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Texting

Hi Nanmca,

you've been told correctly. This is an issue with the way your phone handles things rather than with Virgin Mobile.

There are a number of instances where this can happen, not just using emoticons.
Click here: How to stop text messages being sent as MMS (actually an O2 support page).

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It depends on which emoticons you use and which phone you have.

If you use a 'built in' emoticon formed by punctuation such as : or ) then these are sent as SMS messages and converted to a symbol by the phone.

However if you use the picture based emojis e.g. a cake etc, then some phones send these as MMS as they're not built in.

Newer phones, and some older phones with the above issue after a firmware update, can handle sending the more advanced emojis as SMS.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Nanmca,

you've been told correctly. This is an issue with the way your phone handles things rather than with Virgin Mobile.

There are a number of instances where this can happen, not just using emoticons.
Click here: How to stop text messages being sent as MMS (actually an O2 support page).

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It depends on which emoticons you use and which phone you have.

If you use a 'built in' emoticon formed by punctuation such as : or ) then these are sent as SMS messages and converted to a symbol by the phone.

However if you use the picture based emojis e.g. a cake etc, then some phones send these as MMS as they're not built in.

Newer phones, and some older phones with the above issue after a firmware update, can handle sending the more advanced emojis as SMS.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own