Menu
andrewch
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Text received re removal of Mobile Rescue App.

This morning probably like every other Virgin Mobile customer with the insurance package I received the following text message.

We're improving your mobile insurance and removing the Mobile Rescue app.  Visit www.newasurion.com/virgin.vmr for terms.  Questions call 03450303291.

Unquote

I was sufficiently interested in finding out what had been improved so I typed in the www address to find that it took me to the main Virgin Media website not as I had thought an insurance specific item.  I looked on the website but could not see anything relating the subject of the text.  My next action was to call 03450303291 I spoke to an informed operator who advised that the change made was simply the removal of the Mobile Rescue app because it had become problematic no more than that.

My next call was to 789 to find out whether I had been charged for the '0345' call and you guessed it I had.  After explaining that I felt it unjust that I had been charged, the call charges were refunded.

There are three points here. 

Firstly, the wording of the text message.  On reading the message I had assumed, wrongly as it turns out, that improvements had been made to the insurance.  Why didn't VM just report that due to problems the Mobile Rescue app had been removed.  Job done !

Secondly, the telephone number.  If VM are going to use '0345' numbers or similar that attract charges outside the usual call packages why don't they simply add the words 'charges apply' to the end of the text message.  Could it be that VM want to profit from unwitting customers. Surely not !

Thirdly, if any other VM customers have been caught out like me and called the '0345' make sure you request that the charges are refunded.

Finally, a message for VM. Something along the lines of the following would have saved me time and energy this afternoon.

'Due to problems with the Mobile Rescue app. this had now been removed from your package.  Details can be found at www. (address takes user to a website where the appropriate details can be found).com.  Or call 789'   

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Text received re removal of Mobile Rescue App.

It's worse than you think. I just received the same text, and I'm not even insured through Virgin. I'd have thought that parsing the customer database with a bulk text application would be fairly straightforward, and even if not, a job you would want to do properly so you don't look daft.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

andrewch wrote:

We're improving your mobile insurance and removing the Mobile Rescue app.  Visit www.newasurion.com/virgin.vmr for terms.  Questions call 03450303291.

Unquote

I was sufficiently interested in finding out what had been improved so I typed in the www address to find that it took me to the main Virgin Media website not as I had thought an insurance specific item.  

The .vmr should be /vmr

It may be a typo in the text you received, or in your transcript. 

andrewch wrote:

My next call was to 789 to find out whether I had been charged for the '0345' call and you guessed it I had.

Calls to 0345 numbers are charged as with 01 and 02 geographical numbers- at a maximum of 10p per minute but included in any free airtime you get to landlines. If you were charged even though you have inclusive minutes available, something else went wrong and it needs looking at. If you don't get inclusive minutes or have run out, you should be aware that 0345 calls aren't free.

Whether you should be giving up hard-earned cash or precious minutes to clarify the meaning of a badly-written text from a Virgin affiliate, well that's another discussion entirely...

0 Kudos
andrewch
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It's a complete shambles as far as I am concerned. Will definitely be looking elsewhere when my contract is up for renewal  in December. Bathe advice about call charges came from VM.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

They may class call costs coming out of your inclusive minutes as "being charged" but I'm just trying to be magnanimous. VM certainly appear to have a training issue with some of their CS staff.

0 Kudos