Menu
Veggieval1
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Text message charging over 160 characters!

I've recently changed my virgin phone from a nokia lumia to a samsung a3 only had it a week and have discovered that I cannot send texts over 160 characters without incurring a charge of 40p which I was never advised about, even though I said my main usage was texts and using the camera! - since discovering this I have been told various conflicting information by virgin operators - one told me that if I change the phone to a sony or i phone I would be able to send long texts with no charges and the other has said that this text length restriction and charges applies to all phones and all networks -I'm very confused and upset about this

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Text message charging over 160 characters!

It's the phone, Samsung change texts over a certain number of characters to MMS

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's the phone, Samsung change texts over a certain number of characters to MMS

0 Kudos
Veggieval1
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Danny, I was told by the first operator that it was only samsung and that if i changed to a Sony or I phone they would do long texts however when I phoned Virgin today I was told that all makes of phones restrict the texts? I habe only had new phone for 7 days so am within the 14 day cooling off period so could change the phone to another make - what do you thin k I should do? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As far as I know all new phones do this

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It's not a phone issue, it's an app issue. The stock mesaging app on most phones switches a text to MMS under certain circumstances such as many recipients or long texts. You can probably find an app which will allow you to bypass the handset's stock behaviour.

MMS is chargeable by all UK carriers, as far as I can tell. Around the world, MMS is not charged, it's just taken out of your data allowance. The UK is a big rip-off because you can't send MMS without data enabled. So even though you pay for your data allowance, you get charged extra when you use data for MMS. It's not just Virgin...

The apps do it because MMS is a more efficient protocol once an SMS gets above its inteded parameter of 160 characters to one recipient.

0 Kudos